I'm thinking of building nest boxes and dog houses..........

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by crj, Jan 18, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I need the extra money so I thought building these would be a good idea. What are your thoughts? I get great deals on the material and that's one of the reasons I thought of doing this. I am not a carpenter but I do like to make things and work with my hands. I just don't know how much to charge. It would be hard for me to figure out how long it takes me to make them. I'm learning and I never know what my plans will be because I change them all the time. I have made 3 sets of next boxes. I have a spare that I would like to sell. I made a dog house for my baby ducks to live in temporarily when they get bigger. Kind of like a nursery when they are ready to go outside and be with the older ducks. BTW, I still have to shingle the roof on the dog house.

I know stuff like this is expensive in store and on line. I doubt I will be able to get that kind of money for mine. I'm also planning on painting the dog houses since the material is not pressure treated. At least this batch isn't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    The dog house in particular is really nice with the trim and hinged roof. Check on your local craigslist for competition and a price idea... good luck to you!

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    [​IMG]

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I'm on the other side of the state. That 2 holer would go for $25 bucks over here. I sold a rusty 4 holer for $40

5. chickencoop13

chickencoop13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    nh
    [​IMG]

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They look great!!! Yeah- check craigslist like Egg Rookie said.

7. sport14692

sport14692 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Carencro, La
    Nice work !!!

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I can't help much on price, cause I'm cheap and have a handy honey who builds stuff for me [​IMG] But, I could see a market for those! We have people on my local CL selling coops, etc quite a bit. I'd spend some time doing research on your craigslist, etc in your area, and if you're rural I'd target a local urban area. And never underestimate the value of a pretty paint job! Pretty colors sell better, like your pink. Good luck!

9. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Thank you everyone. I was thinking about making small chicken coops if I get the nerve up. And, if it's worth my while, if you know what I mean. Cost is everything at the moment. I've seen chicken coops on CL and they are way expensive. Some are nice but others............. well, I'll leave it at that. No one around here does either so I might get lucky. Many are handy though so I'm not to sure how that will go. Either way I think it's worth a try.

Many just don't have the time. I still have a little more to do on the dog house. It's really for my baby ducks. Even though I'm selling them they aren't old enough to be outside just yet.

I was very surprised how expensive nest boxes are. I don't plan on painting those. Have you ever looked upu and priced nest boxes? Wow... they can be expensive and they aren't fancy either. I'm talking about wooden ones. I know I wouldn't pay a high price for them. If I can make them cheap enough they don't have to be very expensive. Also, if I can get a system down where they won't take me very long then it would be even better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by