1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm thinking of getting ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by abidaby, Jun 19, 2016.

1. abidaby

abidaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2016
    Kent, England
    Hi there, I'm new here and just thought I would get your opinions before doing anything. So i have a shed/summer house (that's what it was called when we brought the house!) and I was wondering if with a bit of work it would be suitable to keep ducks in? I want to make use of the shed and I also love the idea of having ducks as pets as well as having some yummy eggs!! Do you think this will be big enough, if I make it fox proof? I know it needs a lot of clearing up in there as its been unused for years. I was planning on letting them have run of the garden when I'm there with them but the rest of the time they would just be in there. Would the concrete slabs be too hard for their feet even with sand or another substrate on top of it?
    Thank you in advance,
    Abi

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. abidaby

Jun 18, 2016
    Kent, England
    The size is
    16 ft long by 10ft wide

3. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Looks great but a little predator proofing. I'm actually really jealous of that setup!! Your yard could sustain 4-6 ducks. (Look into muscovys, they are super quiet, lay a lot of huge eggs, and are super super sweet.)

1 person likes this.
  4. Speak2Erin

Speak2Erin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2016
    Riverview, FL
    Great set up for ducks.Muscovies can fly, but they are quiet. Pekin females are loud but don't fly. Those are my only experience with ducks. Mine roam the backyard all day and I coop them at night.

Editing to add: I would let them personally was the grass area. I'd worry about them walking on concrete all the time. And they poop so much! You'd always be hosing it down.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  5. Nikosbirds

Nikosbirds Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    Hope Valley, RI
    I LOVE my ducks! We got Indian Runners and they are great, but Noisy. If you have neighbors close by, I agree with the last post, Muscovys are a good bet. Also 4-6 is a good number, and that is a great setup.

6. Nikosbirds

Nikosbirds Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    Hope Valley, RI
    Agree. You could maybe use some rubber bar mats, topped with straw.

7. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    Use mats then sand then some soft cedar bedding or something similar.
    Muscovys are very quiet, but yes, you need to trim their wings. But they are soo sweet.

8. abidaby

Jun 18, 2016
    Kent, England
    Thank you all so much!! Yay so glad you think that it will be ok for ducks :). What sort of rubber matting would you put down and also what sort of sand? How often would the sand need changing?

9. MandBducks

MandBducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    You can buy rubber stall mats from any feed store. I use all purpose sand from a home improvement store (only 2 dollars a bag).

10. abidaby

Jun 18, 2016
    Kent, England
    Thank you! I live in England but I'm sure there's somewhere online or something that I could get it from. So would you rubber Matt the whole lot and then sand and then wood chips and then scattered hay? How often would you say they need cleaning out?
    I was planning on letting them run round the garden when I'm there so they will have grass areas then. The shed is right down the bottom of the garden with no neighbours at the bottom so I'm not too worried about a bit of noise but I will look into muscovys :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by