I'm thinking of getting some birds...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Airedale, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Airedale

Airedale New Egg

Jan 16, 2009
    I am looking at either a couple of bantams or a bunch of chukar partridge. What are the space requirements (generally) for these types of birds? Also, what size coop/run would I need to build for the bantams (I'm looking at them more than the chukars)?

2. Airedale

Airedale New Egg

Jan 16, 2009
    Forgot to mention, I live in Northern Minnesota, so it gets fairly cold in the winter, so how can I make it so I don't end up with winter kill?

3. lobb40118

lobb40118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    i am new to raising myself, i have 4 regular size. my coop is 3x8 kind of, check out my BYC page. they have room but i also let them out for a couple hours when i am home to range. 4 feet per regular is minimum but i have a bit more to make it less of a cleaning task and to make them happier plus they love to range if you let them. i started with 3 and said thats it then bought a number 4 today...lol....i feel like an up and coming addict but i am fighting the urge...lol

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] For bantams in Minnesota. Id at least go with 2 sq ft per bird, more is better as far as cleaning goes. 3 to 4 sq ft in the run will be fine. Its usually best to go bigger on the coop and run, because you will probaly end up wanting more birds later on. [​IMG]

5. Airedale

Airedale New Egg

Jan 16, 2009
    So about 2x2 square feet each? I think I can accomplish that.

6. Airedale

Airedale New Egg

Jan 16, 2009
    Quote:I live in a town, and have some yard, but not much. Would smell be much of a problem? My mom (I'm a teen) owns a restaurant, and I don't want to ruin the businees by having a bad smell outside of it.

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Smell shouldnt be a problem. The more bird you get the worse it will be. Around 10 birds and you probally wont even notice the smell. Just keep your coop cleaned out a regular basis. You can even use lime to keep the smell down, if need be.

8. lobb40118

lobb40118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    i made mine as a coop/run combo. once my new girl gets used to the environment then i will let them out again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by