I'm thinking pullets...what do you think?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shaggyhag, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Shaggyhag

Shaggyhag Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Shaggyhag

Nov 23, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    [​IMG]

3. Shaggyhag

Nov 23, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    [​IMG]

4. Shaggyhag

Nov 23, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    [​IMG]

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Yep, no doubt all are pullet

6. Shaggyhag

Nov 23, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    They are 18 weeks old today and have been displaying many signs of laying but no eggs yet...this is our first flock and I have read that squatting, clucking, and reddening of the face and comb are all signs they are ready to lay. All meet this description but are there any other tell tale signs I should be looking for? We are excited to get our first egg(s) from our newest family members!

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Those are all signs, except clucking has nothing to do with. All the chickens cluck once they get their "adult voice". Also if they are checking out the nesting boxes. But there is no way any of these are cockerels. Only female easter eggers are this color, a male easter egger would never have this color pattern

8. Shaggyhag

Nov 23, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I thought the clucking thing was not true, but as I said, this is our first flock and I have been reading a lot of different ideas. Yes, they have been expecting the nesting boxes as I have noticed feathers mixed in the substrate. Any ideas about what should be the base of the nesting boxes? I was told to use organic cedar pellets by our local feed store. Also, I have 15 pullets and three nesting boxes. Should I add a couple more? I have the space and it wouldn't be too much trouble. Again, I was told by the feed store that three would be fine.

Thank you for your assistance with my questions! It really helps hearing from someone that actually raises chickens as opposed to just selling them at a store!

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Cedar is suppose to be a big no no when it comes to chickens. It is supposably not good for their respiratory system. true or not I don't know, but I am not taking the chance. I always use pine. You can do a lot of different things in your nesting box. Straw, chopped grass, pine sawdust. Some people add a little bit of DE and wood ashes (not from treated wood) as a little bit of pest control. # should be good. You can add one or two more if you want. But they will likely pick one or two they like and all of them will use those ones lol. So it might be a waste of money. Feel free to ask more questions, I don't mind anwsering them

10. Shaggyhag

Nov 23, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    My mistake, it is white pine. I'll probably take it out and add grass clippings to straw as I have more than enough of both! Thanks for your help! I may have more questions and will keep you up to date on their progress!

Have a great day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by