I'm thinking shes gone broody... UPDATE on page 2

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jen4, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    [​IMG]
    Alright this little BO hen has been sitting in this same nest box since yesterday around 3ish... she was there when it was time to go go bed and she was still there this morning, sitting on a golf ball [​IMG] So I took the golf ball out from under her and added 6 eggs. I've been gone for a couple of hours, just got home, checked on chickies and shes still there... so I added 4 more eggs, for a total of 10. So I hope I'm right in thinking shes gone broody... should I added more eggs or do ya think 10 is good? Do I need to get her off the nest to take a drink/ eat... cause I dont think shes moved since yesterday. Any advice or help would be great and I'll keep you guys posted. How long does it take eggs to hatch?

[​IMG]
    Showing only 6 eggs, put right after taking this pic. I added 4 more... also I marked todays date on these 10 eggs.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Oh you poor dear. A Buff Orp that's gone broody. My sympathies. I have one that's broody now. What a pain in the fluffy butt!

3. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Is it really a pain?

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Well, for me it is. I have only 4 girls and one nestbox. When Little Miss BroodyPants starts her Broodybit, all the other girls get upset because she hogs the nestbox. She is the PMS to the max. They have to climb over her and sandwich themselves in to be able to lay their eggs - kinda like trying to deliver a nice casserole to a grumpy old lady in a crowded kitchen. Would you like my Pumpkin to come over and teach your girl the finesses of the condition?

5. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I think the point was IF youplan on stopping her from being broody... It will be tough?

6. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Buff Hooligans - [​IMG] O... we have 10 nest boxes so that should be a problem. I havent seen anyone messing with her yet, she doesnt like when I go by her, she makes a mean noise. So have you let your hatch any chickies or I guess my question should be do you have a rooster? We have 2 in the pen with the girls so most of the eggs should be fertile. [​IMG]

MIKE555444 - O no I dont want to stop her, I want more chickies... just didnt know if I need to do anything for her or move her?

7. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i wouldnt add anymore, and shes so cute i have 7 broodies right now and they are so much fun, my record is 15 at one time lol

8. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    I went out there and took her off the nest and put her by the water to take a drink, it took her a couple mins. then she drank some water and ran out the coop door... went and drank some more water, then walked around, ate... I was getting scared shes wasnt going to come back to get on the nest so I stayed around to [​IMG] and sure enough she came back in the coop, jumped up on one of the roost and was looking like she was trying to figure how to get back into the nest box so I put her in and she made herself all nice and cozy.... Yeah I'm not going to add anymore eggs... think 10 enough

9. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Jen... as long as she has access to food and water I would not take her off the nest to eat or drink.... (I suppose you could say they kinda go through a simlar phase as hibernating) She will get off the nest herself when she is hungry/thirsty enough.

She will be most successful if you let her do her own thing.

Good luck on MORE chicks [​IMG]

10. Jen4

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Ok... thank you. I will let her be and see what happens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by