I'm thinking this isn't normal - please look and help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sstepp, Jul 10, 2010.

1. sstepp

sstepp New Egg

Sep 18, 2009
    Greetings,

We have four chickens and all but one seem very healthy.

Not being knowledgeable at all when it comes to chicken health issues, I hope by posting a few pictures you folks can tell us what we are dealing with.

Below are four pictures of the girl in questuion, any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Im no pro..

But it appears as if this bird is your roosters favorite. Or either it is at the bottom of the pecking order and is being picked on.

3. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    From the pics its hard to tell but could it possibly have a mite or lice issue? The feathers look a bit dirty. I had one that looked like that and I found lice. Boy was I spreading the DE quickly and dusting her with sevin. It can make them act pretty sickly too. I ended up loosing one of my polishes to it. Just was not strong enough to recover. Check around the vent. That is the only place I saw the little things.

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Looks like Roo damage,

i would have said molting until i saw the photo of the with a wound.

5. sstepp

sstepp New Egg

Sep 18, 2009
    I should have mentioned that we do not have a rooster. Perhaps one of the other hens is picking at her. Or maybe they all are. What bothers me is the loss of feathers as well as how sickly some of the remaining feathers look.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    My first thought was mites or lice. 5% Sevin Dust for everyone, and a thorough coop and run cleanout and dusting seem to be called for. Repeat in 10 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by