I'm TICKED! Just got back from the recycling center

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

We have a recycling center trailer in the parking lot of our local grocery store. We drove by and they were closed, but they had this sign in front:

[​IMG]

Wow, they really take a lot of different stuff! So we spend a ton of time today with the kids separating out our recycling, looking at all the numbers on the bottom of the containers, etc. We pile all the stuff into the car, drive down, and pull it all out.

The guy looks at it and starts saying, "Well, we don't take this, or that, or those. We only take drink containers that have a CRV."

I asked, "I'm confused... you mean you don't take all the stuff on this list?"

His reply (very short and annoyed): "No, we don't take anything without a CRV. So we only take (pointing at one item on the list) this (skipping 3 items) this (skipping 2 listings) and this."

My question: "So, why are they on the list? Shouldn't you cross them out if you don't pay or even accept them for recycling?"

His boss lady walks over and says, "We only take items that the state reimburses you for and we have to have it on the list because we're a recycling center."

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ok, is it just me or does this make NO SENSE!? I mean, why the heck have things listed on a sign with prices, but not accept those items? Either the company / people running the place are idiots, or the people that created some policy that requires prices to be listed even if they don't accept them are idiots.

So, did I miss something? I went away pretty upset.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Yikes, Nifty. Did you go Ninja-style on his bum?

3. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    They want the state to believe they are taking everything that is recyclable but in reality they are only taking what they turn a profit on....it happens alot

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Ya, that's what I figured, but I couldn't believe how smug they were, and how much they were treating me like the idiot for questioning why their sign made no sense. Had I not had the kids with me I would have called them on their scam and asked for some contact info for corporate offices.

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Typical nonsense. I ran into the same thing at our local recycling center. [​IMG] People are strange creatures sometimes.

6. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Quote:This is a rhetorical statement, right? Really, a government paid/sponsored agency did something that makes no sense based on guidles from said government? That can't happen, right?

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Recycling is always an interesting feel good thing... often it costs more and creates more waste to recycle than it would have been to land fill... and land fills when full turn into parks quiet often that you'd never know was a fill besides the methane flame and no dig signs.

8. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    thats a bummer nifty. our recycling centers around here are a joke as well. everything that they won't take i put in our recycling can that the city picks up and hope for the best.

9. girlychick

girlychick Chillin' With My Peeps

wow that's really annoying xD

10. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:If the state requires them to list it, doesn't that mean the state expects them to take it? I would look into that if I was you...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by