I'm tossing in everything but the kitchen sink ...

AppleMomma65

Songster
Mar 16, 2020
Spooner, WI
My Coop
My Coop
I posted a message a few days ago about my 1.5 year old hen. She's not laid since March but has generally been fine until now. She - and her flock mates - are just finishing their molt but she has been lethargic, isolates herself. She is not really eating. She does not have mites. The - great - advice I was given is that she may have worms, or coccidia so I am treating for both (treating whole flock) with Corid drench (2 tsp/gallon water) and personal doses of Safeguard - we are on day 2 for both treatments. I bring her into the house during the day to watch her. I've given her tuna, chicken, Greek yogurt, mealworms, syringes of water - anything to keep her eating but she's not really interested in any of it. I bring her out to the roost later afternoon / before dusk.

Her crop - since she's not eating - is not really full but it does feel a bit squishy so now I'm wondering about sour crop? They all get Purina Layer Pellets (16%) along with access to grit, oyster shell and a good handful of Dumor 5-Grain Scratch in their run. She doesn't have a bad smell from her beak. Her poo is whitish with green bits - which from the what seems like hours of research seems to indicate malnutrition.

I'm at a loss on this one but I do not want to spend $120 to bring her to the "city" vet who knows nothing about chickens. Can you please help -->
  • Do I treat for the coccidia and worms first and then tackle sour crop? Or do all three at the same time?
  • Do I keep her completely separate from the group until I can figure out what's up?
  • Do I keep her inside during the day to monitor her and bring her out at night to sleep?
TIA to all who have helped me recently - this is very frustrating.

Kiki

🙄🤚Do More!
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jul 31, 2015
Houston, TX
My Coop
My Coop
Just the mention of not laying eggs since March is not good. It is highly likely this bird is suffering from some type of reproductive order illness/disease.
A vet visit for antibiotics would be your best bet.
If she doesn't start eating you might want to think about ending her suffering.

Last edited:

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
You could have continued with the thread you were on, but I'll link that so other can take a look and get up to speed.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sick-molting-hen-i’m-stumped.1498552/

As mentioned in your other thread - she's not laid for many many months
So there's a good possibility you are dealing with a reproductive issue that is progressing.

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. If it's empty, that's a good thing. If it's not emptying, then begin treating according to this article
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Yes. You can treat Coccidiosis, Worms and Crop issues all at the same time.

If she's not getting picked on, then personally, I would put her back with the flock. I rarely separate birds from the flock even if they are not "well". I just pull them out to treat as needed during the day. Even if they are just moseying or sitting about, they are much more comfortable (imo/ime) than being caged and isolate from their flock.

Grace8269

Chirping
May 30, 2020
I posted a message a few days ago about my 1.5 year old hen. She's not laid since March but has generally been fine until now. She - and her flock mates - are just finishing their molt but she has been lethargic, isolates herself. She is not really eating. She does not have mites. The - great - advice I was given is that she may have worms, or coccidia so I am treating for both (treating whole flock) with Corid drench (2 tsp/gallon water) and personal doses of Safeguard - we are on day 2 for both treatments. I bring her into the house during the day to watch her. I've given her tuna, chicken, Greek yogurt, mealworms, syringes of water - anything to keep her eating but she's not really interested in any of it. I bring her out to the roost later afternoon / before dusk.

Her crop - since she's not eating - is not really full but it does feel a bit squishy so now I'm wondering about sour crop? They all get Purina Layer Pellets (16%) along with access to grit, oyster shell and a good handful of Dumor 5-Grain Scratch in their run. She doesn't have a bad smell from her beak. Her poo is whitish with green bits - which from the what seems like hours of research seems to indicate malnutrition.

I'm at a loss on this one but I do not want to spend $120 to bring her to the "city" vet who knows nothing about chickens. Can you please help -->
  • Do I treat for the coccidia and worms first and then tackle sour crop? Or do all three at the same time?
  • Do I keep her completely separate from the group until I can figure out what's up?
  • Do I keep her inside during the day to monitor her and bring her out at night to sleep?
TIA to all who have helped me recently - this is very frustrating.
Hi! I used a syringe, with the coccidiosis treatment and water, and gave it to my chicken through her beak. I would then massage her crop while tilting her upside down so she vomits. I would just be gentle and then would recommend controlling her food and water intake. I also suggest yogurt, which is great for probiotics. Supply extra calcium via oyster shells as well. I hope this helps!!!! Good luck!

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Hi! I used a syringe, with the coccidiosis treatment and water, and gave it to my chicken through her beak. I would then massage her crop while tilting her upside down so she vomits. I would just be gentle and then would recommend controlling her food and water intake. I also suggest yogurt, which is great for probiotics. Supply extra calcium via oyster shells as well. I hope this helps!!!! Good luck!
I would caution anyone to never make a chicken vomit, unless you are prepared to lose them, because they can choke to death. Don’t massage a puffy or sour crop. It wouldn’t make much sense to syringe feed medicine for coccidiosis and then make her vomit, either. I’m not picking on you, and I hope that you don’t think so, but I just wouldn’t recommend that the OP follow this advice.

AppleMomma65

Songster
Mar 16, 2020
Spooner, WI
My Coop
My Coop
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @Kiki - I hope it's okay that I update you on the situation via this thread post - you have all been so helpful - thank you.

In four days, the situation has not really changed. I have all chickens on Corid drench, and Safguard (individual doses) - they all look amazing and are doing fine from their molt. As for my one hen with the described issues, I did the stated + started Monistat for possible Sour Crop. I "force" feed her water/Corid drench, as well as bits of chicken or tuna, mushy feed and/or treats - anything to get something in her. She barely takes anything on her own. Her poop is still white with green bits and there is very little of it. As @wyorp suggested I have put her back in the coop to be with her mates except when I take her out to feed/medicate her. I don't have a good feeling about this. So now I'm asking - how long do I do this for - I should have seen some improvement by now, right? If it comes to this, I'm going to have to ask my husband to take care of putting her down - I just personally cannot, even though I know it may be the right thing to do. As she sits on my lap while I type this, I know that these things - and the responsibilities - are all part of chicken keeping but this is my first hen that I've had fall ill and I was really hoping I'd be able to help her get through this ... 😢

Kiki

🙄🤚Do More!
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jul 31, 2015
Houston, TX
My Coop
My Coop
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @Kiki - I hope it's okay that I update you on the situation via this thread post - you have all been so helpful - thank you.

In four days, the situation has not really changed. I have all chickens on Corid drench, and Safguard (individual doses) - they all look amazing and are doing fine from their molt. As for my one hen with the described issues, I did the stated + started Monistat for possible Sour Crop. I "force" feed her water/Corid drench, as well as bits of chicken or tuna, mushy feed and/or treats - anything to get something in her. She barely takes anything on her own. Her poop is still white with green bits and there is very little of it. As @wyorp suggested I have put her back in the coop to be with her mates except when I take her out to feed/medicate her. I don't have a good feeling about this. So now I'm asking - how long do I do this for - I should have seen some improvement by now, right? If it comes to this, I'm going to have to ask my husband to take care of putting her down - I just personally cannot, even though I know it may be the right thing to do. As she sits on my lap while I type this, I know that these things - and the responsibilities - are all part of chicken keeping but this is my first hen that I've had fall ill and I was really hoping I'd be able to help her get through this ... 😢
I'm sorry you're going through this but I don't think you're understanding that you are probably not going to be able to cure your chicken without antibiotics... And then it is probably too late to even start the antibiotics.

It's up to you. How long do you want to continue to watch her suffer?

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Is her crop empty early in the morning, or is it still full. Is it puffy? I still don’t know the answer yet. If she is suffering from a reproductive problem that is causing her appetite to decrease, or a possible crop issue, she may not get better. A lot depends on how much time you have to devote to her care.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
If you do decide to put her down, or lose her, it can be helpful to either do a home necropsy, or have your state vet do a professional and thorough necropsy where they can give you a diagnosis. If you do a home one, take pictures of her abdomen and the organs. Sometimes we can get clues from what we see. If your state vet does one, the body must be kept cold, but not frozen.

Top Bottom