1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm totally a newbie!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Shortsheet, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Shortsheet

Shortsheet New Egg

Apr 21, 2017
    Bastrop, TX
    Howdy from Central Texas!

My name is Sharon and I'm addicted! LOL...I bought a coop, built a fence..then got my chicks..funny because I won't need the coop or the fenced in area for weeks (didn't think of that when I started this adventure). I have never, nor has my immediate family ever raised chickens for pets or eggs. I decided to do this for the wonderful fresh eggs..but now that "I'm INTO it." I realize that I'm in love with my birds! I started out with 1 Barred Plymouth Rock (3 days old), 1 Black Sex Link (3 days old), 1 silver lakenvelder and 1 golden lakevelder..I unfortunately lost Henrietta-my black sex link to unknown causes at 18 days old. I notices she was not eating or drinking the day before, so I went into emergency mom mode read up on all your postings here, syringe watered her with the Corid mixture all through the night. I went to work the next morning after making sure she drank, as I watched her on my Brooder Cam I noticed she laid down oddly and didn't move. I was and still am quite upset that I didn't see symptoms sooner and I was lead to believe that since she was vaccinated for this that they would be ok, but I've also heard that sometimes chicks are missed or not given the correct dose..etc.. My other 3 are thriving great! I have now added 2 newbies..1 Silver laced Wyandotte and 1 Light brahma. I clean out their poop, water and food several times a day..the 5 of them are in a 2' x 4' x 2 watering trough with a heat lamp and thermometer in my laundry room (in my house). One side of the brooder stays close to 90, but the other side is about 82 and the lamp is on a timer that turns off about every 2 hours for 30 mins.

I love this site, and plan on being on here everyday to learn as I go.

Thank you for providing me with great information!

Sharon

PS... Oh and my chicks hate it when the lamp turns off and they are in the dark..they peep very loudly for the whole 30 minutes that its dark..I'm assuming it's normal and they will get used to it :)

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Welcome to BYC...you'll need your coop soon, it's good you got it.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Sharon [​IMG] Welcome!

I am sorry to hear of your loss [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have no experience raising chicks in a brooder, just under a broody hen who does all the work for me [​IMG]

Anyways, if you have any questions, the Raising Baby Chicks Forum is a good place to post them: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

4. Shortsheet

Shortsheet New Egg

Apr 21, 2017
    Bastrop, TX
    Awesome! Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm so excited! I can't wait to start posting pics. As I watch my babies in my security camera (that I have in my brooder area) they make me laugh daily..running, acting crazy, chasing each other because one thinks the other has something good to eat..they are much crazier than my 4 dogs..who so far are doing ok when I let them smell them every day.

Have a great day!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Sharon and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us.

One thing that you will soon notice about chickens is that they don't like change of any kind. They will get used to not having light on a night time - just a case of a few days of tough love.

Best wishes
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Sharon, Welcome to Backyard chickens [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by