I'm totally bummed, my eggs came all broken

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pnp4kidz, Feb 12, 2009.

1. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

How sad is that?
    two dozen eggs, first they came yesterday but I got caught in a huge traffic jam and the post office closed before I got there, but I figured 'oh well, it's only been 2 days'....
    so, today I get there...
    find $6.80 postage due....
    argh...

got them home, to find scrambled egg all in the packing...
    and after removing bubble wrap, half are totally broken....

I had to wipe all of them as they were all covered in scrambled egg....

now... what do I do?

I'm so sad.... :-([​IMG]

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Unfortunately, shipped eggs have that often. Not only that, but after the rough treatment, hatchability declines drastically. Buying chicks may seem more expensive, but shipments are usually safe and you have better results. Tough lesson to learn. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

3. pnp4kidz

just saw a similar thread above, so at least there is hope?
    I can let them sit overnight then put them in my incubator?

Do I discard the lightly cracked ones? or try those too...

how about one with a 'dent'?

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Wow, where did you get your eggs from!?? Postage due!??? Broken eggs?? What a mess. The ones with slight cracks...you can drip candle wax over the crack, and set them. Definately contact the "seller" and let them know what has happened. Good luck on your hatch.

5. pnp4kidz

I put them in the bator this morning, they got to rest over night...
    so, I guess I can candle next Friday night and see if any survived?

the shipper is sending me another dozen, I asked for some tighter packaging... sigh...

Praying for at least a FEW of these to make it! Is there ANY hope?

6. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:How were they packed? may I ask?

We have shipped thousands of eggs over the years and it's rare we get reports of any cracked or broken - seems to be all in the packing job

Steve in NC

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I don't know how you would get postage due anymore these days unless the package was sent c.o.d.

8. pnp4kidz

Well, I think since he printed the postage on line, they took the box from him...
    and they just wrote postage due on the box with their figures.
    See, he did a fixed rate box label, but used a priority box, which needs to be weighed...

he put the eggs in a carton, and put one or two sheets of bubble wrap over the top of the eggs. Nothing between each egg... so, when the mail guy (no doubt) threw the box and drop kicked it, the eggs crashed into each other and blew to smitherines...

He then wrapped the whole egg carton in two sheets of bubble wrap, and taped that up, then put the cartons in a box with lots of peanuts around them, and a layer of crumpled newspaper on the bottom of the box....

Of note: there were two spare eggies in there, and they were individually wrapped in one bubble wrap and taped up, and they were floated in the peanuts, and they were fine.

I did take pics.... just haven't downloaded them yet.

no one wants to tell me that they are all dead... do ya?
    boooooo hoooooooo..... waaaaaaahhhhh....
    sniff, sniff....
    poor eggies...

9. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Yes on the shipping cost seems strange...if the person that you bought the eggs from didn't charge you enough then I would think that is her tough luck and she should have to pay the difference..I know when I have sold stuff on ebay and if I didn't charge enough for shipping I would pay the difference and if I charged to much I have been know to give back the excess to the customer.. sorry your eggs were broke...hope they send you more.

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I'd get your money back and do not buy or get talked into more eggs from them. When you print online postage you are supposed to weigh the box with a scale.

Do the post office a favor and look up the number of the post office by the zip code where he dropped the box off and tell them he is not weighing his boxes so they will stop them next time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by