I'm totally new to ducks -got a box of 3 at the auction What are they?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by midget_farms, Aug 8, 2010.

1. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Like I said - totally new to ducks. I've ordered the book! : )

Was at the auction & got a box of 3. I've wanted to try them out for a while but didn't want to buy 25 from a chick house & didn't want to start with full grown birds so I got lucky & found a box of 3.

It didn't say what type of duck they were though. Can anyone give me a guess?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Maybe Rouen Mixes?

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Hard to tell as ducklings, especially from pictures, but I'm going to take a stab and say two of those appear to be either mallard or rouen (a large domesticated duck that otherwise looks like a mallard) and the other may be a cayuga or a black runner or perhaps even a black swede... does it stand up taller than the others?

Someone else may step in and tell us I've gotten it all wrong, but that's my best guess. They are beautiful--you're going to love them!

4. midget_farms

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Thanks for the reply's. How does one get a mallard to domesticate? Aren't they wild birds?

The black one doesn't stand any taller than the others. I'm really just hoping one is a female! But if they are all male that just means I get to eat them![​IMG] as if my daughter would allow that!

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Well, I raise runners and don't know much about mallards. But if I remember correctly from reading, I believe there are strains of mallard that are more or less domesticated, but they're pretty close to their wild counterparts. If they're mallards, I think you will have to clip their wings. However, there's a good chance you have rouens, which are a fully domesticated breed. But really, I am pretty much guessing and hopefully someone with experience with more breeds will chime in... Sorry I'm not more help!

6. secretquail

secretquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    I read somewhere, probably on BYC, that all domesticated ducks came from either a mallard line or one other. I can't recall what the other duck was, but makes sence, with all the drakes out there of different breeds that have the mallard colors.

But I may have dreamed that. I do like starting rumors![​IMG]

Good luck with your babies!!!

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

What are they? They are CUTE!! That's what they are! Honestly, I don't know the breed. Sure someone will have an answer for you. [​IMG]

8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    They're really cute. I think one is definitely a mallard, the second could be rouen. The black one has a round head like a Muscovy duckling, but it doesn't seem large enough. I would have to see how he stands before I could tell for sure. He's cute, though.

You can get domestic mallards that look almost exactly like the wild type with a few minor differences. In some states, you have to make sure that they're confined or restricted from flying at all times. In other states, there are little to no restrictions on keeping them.

9. midget_farms

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    They are cute aren't they! I couldn't resist.

Thanks for the advise. I'm going to hold out & see what I got.

10. AmCanyonStables

AmCanyonStables Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2009
    American Canyon
    The darker one looks a lot like my black runner did at that age. Here are photos - the duckling with the greyish chest turned out to be the all black runner. The others are black swedes, and do have the same head shape as yours, so he/she could be that as well.
    [​IMG][/img]

Now:
    [​IMG][/img]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by