I'm traumatized and so sad...tell me someone understands the pain!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by chicknhawaii, Jun 9, 2008.

1. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I didn't know where else to find people who would understand how I'm feeling right now and I am hoping that this is the right place to post this... [​IMG]

I was at volleyball tonight and we play in a gym that's not really kept up very well. So the baskets that lower and lift are connected to the ceiling with pipes that should have covers on the ends. Well, the covers have been missing for awhile now and NOW there are birds (sparrows I believe) living in these pipes. Which sounds good at first b/c it's weather-safe, people-safe, and these pipes run horizontal so serve as attachment rather than movable parts.

Anyway, I am referee-ing and all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye - and this all happened in a matter of maybe 1-2 seconds, it was that fast - I see something flying in circles, something falling, then I heard a sickening thud and splat on the gym floor. A newly hatched bird had either fallen out of or got pushed out of the pipe and landed onto the gym floor. Which is extremely hard. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

OMG I have been traumatized since and couldn't really concentrate for the rest of my volleyball games. [​IMG] I picked baby up with a towel and put it on the bench (I didn't want anyone to step on it) where it was still moving around, looking at me with its beak wide open in a silent cry (ok I know that sounds melodramatic but that's what it looked like to me) and I felt so helpless. I am one of those people that wants to save what and whoever I can around me and I so wanted to nurse this baby bird like I have others in the past.

But I was worried about my chickens and my cockatiel. What if this baby had something it could pass onto my birds? I feel so selfish thinking that way, I mean I know I need to protect my family but this poor baby was laying there DYING. [​IMG]

Anyway, it took a lot of willpower to leave the gym with the baby still on the bench, still moving around. I still feel HORRIBLE and helpless...sad that I chose not to help and hey, maybe I can't help. I know this happens all the time in nature but it doesn't happen next to me every day.

*sigh* [​IMG] I feel so bad...

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Was it feathered? It may have been testing it's wings. I am sure it was looking forward to a softer landing, though. You did the right thing leaving it. It will recover and go on it's way.

3. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I know how it feels - we have tons of sparrows nesting in the barn and this week I've found 2 of the newly flighted babies drowned in the water buckets. [​IMG]

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Momma bird may still hear/see it and she'll take care of the little one. We had blackbirds around here just get feathered out. There are baby black birds EVERYWHERE! They all seemed to jump out at once, several nests. I can always look around and see momma sitting at the top of the trees still talking to them.

-Kim

5. mtnchicks

mtnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    Colorado
    I know how you feel. I try to save everything, unless it's better to leave it be and let the parents care for it. I have taken birds to rehabilitators, splinted legs and wings, saved birds from cats while they recovered from hitting windows, etc. Kids in the neighborhood bring me critters, but a lot of times I have them show me where they got it from so that we can let the parent birds raise it.
    The hardest part is knowing when to just let it be, and when it truly needs help. You probably did the right thing by leaving it. The parents will still feed and protect it, and they grow amazingly fast.
    But you're right, some people don't understand. Even my husband, who has put up with me all these years, can't believe I will stop the car to pick up a bird that was hit, or change plans because I have to be home to feed baby birds.
    Don't worry, many people here understand you!

6. Mini Coop

Mini Coop Chillin' With My Peeps

I feel your pain, we are all a bunch of bird crazy people here. Yes, it happens in nature, sometimes even the parents push them out of the nest I've heard. Nature is cruel.

Once when we were up at Mt Rainier, we found a lost little baby wild bird. We took it to the ranger station to see what to do. They said to put it back, even though it would most likely die alone and scared. It was terrible!

7. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I couldn't sleep last night!

It was a newly hatched bird [​IMG] Still wet. [​IMG] Nowhere close to flight. And it was inside the gym so I am sure by now either the gym staff threw it in the rubbish or a child has done something to it I don't want to think about. Of course the gym isn't open yet but someone will remove it or do something today for sure. [​IMG]

Mama bird knows where it is but can't do much for it. I am sure last night was too cold for it...

Ah so many factors against this poor thing.

I really appreciate your responses, I don't feel a lot better but I do feel like at least I have support from people who really understand!!!!!

8. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    It could be a Starling, nasty birds. I read that the mother will sometimes reject the young.

9. mtnchicks

mtnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    Colorado
    Do you have Starlings in Hawaii? I know there is a problem w/ invasive species there.
    You never know, maybe a fellow bird lover, like you, took the baby home or to a rehabilitator. If nothing else, remember it would have died in the wild when it fell from the nest. You will do amazing things in the future: don't let one thing eat at you!

10. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I can feel with you. When i was a kid (well driving teen) i closed a barn door and hurt a bat that i didnt see. It feel in front of me down with a broken wing. I was so upset that i drove the little guy all the way to the next humane society. they took to a vet, but he had to put it down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by