I'm trying something new with the ducklings.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Dec 24, 2012.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I've decided to go by Storey's Guides advice and allow my Muscovy ducklings feed twice a day for about 10 minutes. I may actually do 3 times but we'll see. They are almost 3 weeks old now and I've just started this since I want to allow them more time out of the brooder and I can't leave food down without everyone else getting into it.

Also, tonight I didn't close mom and babies into the brooder but left their little door open to the coop.

This morning, mom had climbed/jumped out of the brooder since it was a bit warm overnight and the cover was off to keep it from overheating. Mom spent much of the day outside with the babies and nobody bothered anyone. She has taken them out several times without issue, except for the geese but they are no longer with us.

I just checked on them and dad and the other ducks are roosting and mom has the babies in front of the brooder. Its going to be in the low 40s overnight but the brooder is about 20 degrees warmer and she did take them in on her own earlier today when it was a little cooler.

[​IMG] for everything to be good overnight.

Merry Christmas everyone!

2. animalz11

animalz11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    QLD Australia
    I'd guess that if she knows they are her babies then she would sit on them to keep them warm, and it can get pretty warm under a duck, especially with the ducklings downey on them, I'd say they should be fine, but maybe check on them as often as you can to make sure they're not getting too cold...

Good luck and Merry Christmas!!

3. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Well all went well overnight. I was mobbed by hungry ducklings this morning and had quite a time trying to manuver with them hovering around my feet.

Merry Christmas everyone.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Glad it went well. I recalled Holderread suggesting to wait till they were several weeks old before withholding food for any period, but that was the earlier edition, perhaps advice has changed or I misremember. I trust your instincts, though, you're a good duck steward.

5. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Thanks Amiga.

I too recall reading not to leave them without for a while but I've only got the one book on ducks so it might suggest both.

This advice was in a table listing ages and how much to feed ducklings. It actually even said that if you have a good foraging breed and a good source of forage like a pond or stream you could limit to one 5 minute feeding a day.

I will probably do 3 feedings only because of the cold and that there is less available for them to forage right now.

Have a safe and Merry Christmas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by