1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm trying Tegaderm on a cracked egg I'm incubating.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TucsonAZ, Jan 7, 2012.

1. TucsonAZ

TucsonAZ Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
  2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Interesting! You may have good results if bacteria has not gotten in yet [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Cool... maybe better than waxing a crack...

4. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I personally am a fan of elmers glue

tegaderm is so hard to work with in general.

hope it works awesome for you!!

5. krcote

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Got an update for us?

6. TucsonAZ

Oct 15, 2011
    I just checked on the batch of 8 eggs (this one included) I set on the 31st and one of them just pipped in the past hour so I should know within the next 24 hours. This guy has developed fine and is right on schedule to hatch so I have my fingers crossed.

Also, a couple says ago I was setting eggs and had one empty slot with no egg to put in it. I remembered setting a badly cracked one on the counter the day before to cook with which got me to wondering. I grabbed the egg and candled it while I traced out the cracking (long and fractured in a few directions), I applied Tegaderm over it and trimmed all the excess. I am really curious as to just how far beyond gone you can bring an egg back from so I will keep you posted and add pictures when I have more of the details.

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

for shipped eggs that are cracked i have started spritzing the crack with oxine.. letting it dry then applying candle wax (unscented).. the oxine seems to make a bit more of a difference in the hatch rates of the cracked ones...

8. TucsonAZ

Oct 15, 2011
    Well, this little fellow just hatched without any issue. I will update with pictures when I get around to it.

9. krcote

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Amazing! Get some some pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by