I'm trying to talk him out of it!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by gritsar, Aug 7, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm trying to talk my DH out of making our annual trip to Hot Springs for the motorcycle rally in September.
    It's really our only vacation each year, but we have a hard time finding a reliable petsitter.
    Last year we hired his younger daughter to petsit, but it didn't work out well IMO.
    She arrived in time for us to give her instructions. Then we left, stopped in town to get a hamburger for our trip and saw her drive by! She almost beat us back to town. She came back up to the farm to check on things only once per day, which meant the chickens had no supervision and Charlie dog was stuck in the house all day long. There was a hurricane approaching, so we came home early and found she wasn't here and things were a mess! The coop was wide open in the pouring rain and Charlie was freaking out on the storm. DSD just doesn't get it.
    This year we have a puppy about halfway housebroken and a new cat, besides the chickens and our barn cat that is scared of people.
    My DH insists that this year he will lay the law down to her and insist that she stay here (it can't be any more boring than at her mom's house), take the pup out on a regular schedule and keep a close eye on the chickens.
    I hope this works! I really don't want to go!

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I totally TOTALLY understand your fears. They are founded!

But, I would give her another chance. I'd make sure she knows how imortant this is to you, and that if it doesn't work out this time, there are no more chances for her to prove herself.

Also, I'm SURE she will have contact info. for you in case she has any questions or if anything happens-tell her to make sure & feel free to call!

You deserve a nice vacation! And....maybe she deserves another chance? Just random thoughts. BEST of luck! [​IMG]

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    He says he is going to tell her she won't get paid until we come home AND I find things to my satisfaction.
    My biggest fear is that she will either a. leave the pup in his crate all day long, forcing him to use it for a bathroom or b. let him poop wherever he pleases in the house (like she does her animals). Either way, all our hard work at housebreaking him will be ruined. [​IMG]

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    How long are you planning to be gone? Is there anyone else that could pop in occasionally that you trust more, who could sort of make sure things are going as they are supposed to? I hate for you to not get vacation...I do feel for you, and trust me when I say I understand. Been there.

I'm not sure what else you can do, except maybe cut your vacation short by a day or two? If you tell her how important these things are, I guess, if she wants the job, you will need to find a way to trust her. Hey, what if you call each night or even twice a day at designated (or NON designated!) times to make sure she's there, and ask how things are going?

5. Jenski

Jenski Songster

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    . . . how about a pup-cam???

[​IMG]

6. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Songster

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    Even if you dont get a pup cam, tell her you did and will be checking it daily to make sure. Also leave a written, ultra specific list of daily tasks and the times they need to be done (she will assume that is when you are checking your pup cam) and have her sign it, like a contract.

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Is there any way you can board the pup and your other dog for a few days? We usually put my dog in a kennel when we go away and it is really not too much more expensive than hiring a pet sitter. The horses, cats, and chickens can survive without constant attention, but we feel it is way worth it to just kennel the dog.

That way you can feel safe that the dog is in knowledgeable hands! It may not help you completely relax, but it will put your mind at ease a little bit more.

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We're going to be gone for three days.
    DH is not comfortable with finding someone else, if we even could. He has a huge gun collection in the house and also lots of sensitive, for his eyes only, paperwork (police dept. related).
    I like the idea of a cam. Will check them out and the unexpected phone calls to the house, not her cell! [​IMG]
    I have a neighbor that comes and lets the chooks out in the morning and locks them up at night in a pinch, but he's really not suppose to be around my chickens (he's a grower for a poultry co.), but he definitely can't go inside the coop to feed or water them.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  9. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    i just went on care.com and it has pet sitters. It was confusing to figure out how to apply but i made a profile and posted my services and i could apply and check out caregivers. They have petcare, daycare, elderly care, etc~
    It's free~

10. Sitka

Sitka Songster

Jul 7, 2009
    Seattle, Washington
    We have been in a similar situation and it's rough. I think what your DH doesn't fully understand is that you can't force / cajole / bribe or pester someone into caring about animals, and that is the issue here.

With the check-ins and "no pay unless you do X, Y, and Z" she may do better than last time, but only out of necessity. However, since you can't use anyone else, she will have to do. I hope it works out okay. As suggested above, try to ingrain how important it is. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: