I'm turning into one of "those" mums! What breed are my day olds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LolaBlue, Feb 2, 2013.

1. LolaBlue

LolaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    I promise I'll leave these babies alone soon!
    Actually posting this thread is keeping me away from them for just a little while, right?!

I purchased 7 new chicks from a breeder yesterday. He had a big ol' mix in the bator.
    I just told him 7 of anything was fine, and as not everything had finished hatching it was a quick grab!

I asked what he thought he'd grabbed and he had a quick peek in the box and told me 2 x RIR's 2 x Barnevelders, a Sussex (not sure if Light or Coronation yet), an Australorp and one he wasn't too sure on. He didn't grab the mystery one back out for a closer look because I didn't really care what breeds

So now I'm confused!

What he thought was an Australorp is not, it's got feathered feet!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Are these 2 Barnevelders?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And I think this is the mystery one. Do you think Silver Spangled Hamburg?

[​IMG]

Thanks so much, these are our first babies, so beyond exciting! :)

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    It's often very difficult to tell different breeds of chicks apart, since so many of them are that chipmunk color.

I do know that the one you were told is an Australorp isn't--they don't have feathered legs. Did the farmer have any Marans hatching?

3. clucknpeck

clucknpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    I think chick #2 looks like an EE only because all my "chipmunk chicks" that were purebred had uniform marking on their face and my ee chicks that were "chipmunk" looked like their markings on their face were just scribbled on like that chick. I could be totally wrong though. It is really hard to tell with chicks. Adorable though!

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Cheeks don't look fluffy enough to be EE...

5. clucknpeck

clucknpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Hmmm maybe so.
    Sorry!

6. LolaBlue

LolaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Thanks so much for your help. guess I'll just have to be patient!
    Not sure if he had marans, I'm thinking it might be a bantam cochin actually.

I'm quite sure they are all purebreeds, his different breeds are all in completely separate sheds/ runs, so no ee's (though I wouldn't mind one at all!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by