i'm up to my ears with broodys

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flip9109, Apr 29, 2008.

1. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    4 out of 8 of my girls are broody. I have 45 3 week old peeps. I don't need any more, so I keep taking any eggs the others lay. I keep removing them from the nest boxes several times a day and put them in their house at night but rthey keep going back. Will they quit on their own? if so how long does this usually take??????????

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It takes forever!!.. I have 3...I had one last year that set for over 20 some days...Finally gave her some eggs she set another 21, after they hatched she was fine...They are determined little women!!...I have 2 setting on air as I do not want or need (well) always need more chicks!!..Let say have no place [​IMG] for more chicks at the moment..

I have to actually get these girls up and move them off the nest two or three times a day to make sure they are eating and drinking...then they head right back to the nest...

3. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    same problem here. I have 2 oegb sitting. 1 mutt chicken 1 brahma and finally 1 cohin. And let me tell you they will no give up either. My cochin sat on nothing for days. I finally gave up and gave her some eggs. My one oegb keeps going back no matter how many times i throw her off. I finally gave up with her too and let her be. I really don;t need any more chickens but it is fun watching them be mothers. Oh well good luck with your broodies

4. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    you can break them out of a brood one way is to put them in a wire bottom cage off the ground so the feel cool air under them another is to put ice cubes under them these are just some ways t break them out of a brood

5. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    Ice cubes. Ha ha ha:lol:

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Wow... I don't think I would have ever thought about ice-cubes. Talk about a rude awakening! LOL!

I have a split pen, so I can close off a portion of the pen with the nests to keep broodies off. I let them back into the coop at night, but the next morning they're put back out into the "detox" pen until their nest-withdrawals are gone. Usually takes 3-4 days before they're back to normal.

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I can sympathize with you on this one...all 3 of our Silky hens are in "chicken jail" (wire bottomed cage used for breaking them of their broodiness) together at this time.

I've taken to calling them our proffessional air-hatchers since they seem to stay broody. I collect eggs several times a day so it's not like they ever have eggs to set...they spend too much time going broody to ever lay more than a few days. [​IMG]

I'd get rid of them except for the fact that they are Skip's personal favorites and the fact that he pays the feed bill. [​IMG]

Dawn

8. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    Maybe you should share with CHKNFMR. He/she can't get his to set![​IMG]

9. Sunny Chook Farm

Sunny Chook Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    M.J :

you can break them out of a brood one way is to put them in a wire bottom cage off the ground so the feel cool air under them another is to put ice cubes under them these are just some ways t break them out of a brood

I have two and have tried everything but "Ice cubes", I'm going now to give them a cold wake up call! [​IMG]

Hope it works!![​IMG]

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    General "knowledge" questions: What would happen if you gave a broody hen one of the newly-hatched chicks? I've never tried anything like this so I'm curious to know if or how it can be done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by