Im Very Discouraged

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bridgetteanne, Sep 30, 2011.

1. bridgetteanne

bridgetteanne Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Im very discouraged right now. I had to bring in 7 eggs from my coop. My hen hatched 2 and now is more worried about them then the eggs. I figure out from a lot of help ( THANKS ) that only two of the eggs had chick in them. I only have a heat lamp and i was testing the heat with a thermometer ( for my kids ) until i could go to the store. it was ranging from 99.8 to over 109. now i bought home an out side thermometer and it went over 120 degrees. Did i cook theses eggs [​IMG] i cant keep the temp right. i have no clue what im doing. [​IMG] I be-leave these eggs may be a week or more out then the two that hatch last Saturday. there is no movement and i cant hear anything. Advice please.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:If the temp was 120 for too long then yes your eggs would have cooked, however, the inside of the egg doesn't reach that temp instantly. It depends on how long it was at that temp.

3. bridgetteanne

Apr 6, 2011
    Quote:If the temp was 120 for too long then yes your eggs would have cooked, however, the inside of the egg doesn't reach that temp instantly. It depends on how long it was at that temp.

well the heat lamp was in the same place as it was when i put the outside thermometer in, so all night. Dose it make a difference on what thermometer you use? the only one i could find at the store was an out side weather thermometer. im super bummed right now.

4. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada

well the heat lamp was in the same place as it was when i put the outside thermometer in, so all night. Dose it make a difference on what thermometer you use? the only one i could find at the store was an out side weather thermometer. im super bummed right now.

In the internal egg temp reached 120 degrees (which it probably did) I would say that the chicks are dead [​IMG]. Some thermometers are more accurate then others and will give you the best reading. One made specifically for incubating would probably be your best bet.

5. bridgetteanne

Apr 6, 2011
    Quote:well the heat lamp was in the same place as it was when i put the outside thermometer in, so all night. Dose it make a difference on what thermometer you use? the only one i could find at the store was an out side weather thermometer. im super bummed right now.

In the internal egg temp reached 120 degrees (which it probably did) I would say that the chicks are dead [​IMG]. Some thermometers are more accurate then others and will give you the best reading. One made specifically for incubating would probably be your best bet.

ok so i have a glass of water in there also and i took its temp and it read. 98.8 so im so confused. AM i ok or NOT

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I read once where someone used a heating pad. They put the eggs on a heating pad and they hatched...

7. ChickieBooBoo

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:In the internal egg temp reached 120 degrees (which it probably did) I would say that the chicks are dead [​IMG]. Some thermometers are more accurate then others and will give you the best reading. One made specifically for incubating would probably be your best bet.

ok so i have a glass of water in there also and i took its temp and it read. 98.8 so im so confused. AM i ok or NOT

Well was the temp 120 or 98?

8. bridgetteanne

Apr 6, 2011
    Quote:ok so i have a glass of water in there also and i took its temp and it read. 98.8 so im so confused. AM i ok or NOT

Well was the temp 120 or 98?

with the outdoor thermometer it was 120, with a thermometer that you would take your temp with, in a the cup of water that is in with the eggs it was 98.8. which would be more accurate??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by