Im very impressed with my Isa Brown

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hyroler, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Hyroler

Hyroler Songster

Aug 1, 2017
    20180328_153801.jpg I have one 8 month old Tetra(isa) Brown.It is really a wonderful hen.She has nice temperment,shy personality and seems to be very relaxed all the time.She lays about 6 super jumbo eggs a week.Its just a very nice all around chicken.The only thing I did notice that could be issue for some people was she wasn't naturally a free ranging bird.When I first started letting her out with other chickens in yard she really didn't know how to scratch and hunt for bugs and insects.It took a couple weeks before she learned from other in the flock now she does just fine. I mention this because someone just starting flock and looking for good free ranging birds.I would not get Tetra Browns all by themselves.I would mix in a few good free ranging breeds for them to learn from.Here is pic showing size and color eggs she lays. 0327181225a.jpg 0327181226.jpg

N Sully and Better Than Rubies like this.
  2. Better Than Rubies

Better Than Rubies Crowing

Oct 20, 2017
    N Sully likes this.
  3. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Tetras are not Isas. Different companies with different breeding stock. The both happen to be red sexlinks, though.

N Sully likes this.
  4. Hyroler

Hyroler Songster

Aug 1, 2017
    I wanted post this because its almost spring time and people might be thinking of getting flock of chickens or adding to their flock. I was going to wait till she was 1 year before my official review of breed.

N Sully and Better Than Rubies like this.
  5. Better Than Rubies

Better Than Rubies Crowing

Oct 20, 2017
    Ah, okay! That's fine; :) I was just saying, just in case you didn't know, I guess. :p

N Sully likes this.
  6. Hyroler

Hyroler Songster

Aug 1, 2017
    mine is isa Brown but ive been told that tetra browns are same only breed by other breeders.Kinda like saran wrap (isa) other label plastic wraps (tetra brown) same product.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Sort of, but not really. Each hatchery has their own 'recipe' for breeding them, maintaining their own parent flocks. Think of it as more like chocolate chip cookies. Lots of companies make chocolate chip cookies, and each company has its own recipe. ISAs, Tetra Browns, Cinnamon Queens, Golden Comets, and Lohman Browns are all red sexlinks. But produced by different companies/hatcheries, all made with slightly differing recipes.

8. Hyroler

Hyroler Songster

Aug 1, 2017
    Ok ,so Isa brown and tetra brown are samething but different

Better Than Rubies likes this.
  9. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Correct. Both red sexlinks, but with different combinations of breeds going into the development of the parent stock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: