i'm volunteering at the horse ranch! and they have CHICKENS!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TheDuckCrew, May 12, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    This sunday i stopped by a horse rescue barn right by my house and signed the papers to volunteer (the whole, if you die, its not our fault thing) and i heard a rooster crow. we were waiting for the lady to get back from getting hay, so i convinced my dad to go over there. from the barn i could see a HUGE buff orp. i was excited. we got over there and they have chickens, turkeys, ducks AND goats! the male turkey didn't like us and kept following us on the fence like hissing. the ducks looked like a moscovy, a moscovy cross and a runner. the only breed i was sure about with the chickens was the gorgeous buff orp! they also had three REALLY friendly goats! we went back into the barn and found a stall full of baby chicks (more like teenagers) and a broody hen with its newly hatched chick! i was so excited with all the animals. i thought they only had horses (16 rescues at the moment) because the chicken coop was out of view. i was thrilled! not only do i get to work with horses, but i get to be around chickens, MORE ducks, turkeys and goats!! its a dream come true!!!!

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. ChickensInTheNorthWoods

ChickensInTheNorthWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North East CT
    Sounds like Fun! My daughter is starting to help out at a local sheep farm which will be a great learning experience!

3. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    i'm really excited. they really need some help with all their animals, and its just a great oppurtunity. they have a lot of horses that are adopted and just waiting to go home so then they will be getting more

4. ChickensInTheNorthWoods

ChickensInTheNorthWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North East CT
    I told you how my daughter was starting to help out at a local sheep farm - well it turns out they have horses, a shetland pony/mini horse, chickens, and my daughters new "I need some of those" Ducks (call ducks, runners etc...) so far she has come home smelly, tired and still smiling! She also gets to watch the owner training herding dogs while she is there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by