I'm wondering about ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sóley, Oct 21, 2019.

1. sóley

sóley Songster

Feb 4, 2018
    so I have been wanting to get muscovy duck but I decovert muscovy's aren't awalilble in Iceland :/

but there are pekin ducks her and a Icelandic duck breed (wish is passicly just some breeds that farmers have mixed together and are now calling it aliendur, and saying it's a Icelandic breed. but anyway aliendur are in many colors.
    what I'm thinking is. I recently said I didn't want ducks because there messy. but if I could get muscovys I would but up with it because I think muscovys is the most adorable bird I ever seen, I saw muscovys for the first time in Faroe island and fell in love.
    but now when I have found out muscovys are not awailable in Iceland I have been thinking maybe I could get my self 4 ducks
    but if I do I have to build them a good coop, so it wouldn't be until next year. but my question is, how big of a pool do they need? would a kids play pool be enough? also is there any way for them not to play with there drinking water and making everything messy?

also I live in a area where there's a lot of minks. so I'm little scared about that because I have heard that there not like chickens that always stay at home, they go away from home at days and get back in the evenig. is the mink going to take them if I let them out to play?
    should I maybe not keep them free range like my chickens and just build a compound

the chickens always stay in my garden so they haven't been taken by minks, the mink doesn't come close to the house in the day, but at night he does and then I have closed the chicken coop so he can't get them. but I am afraid that he could take the ducks and day if they aren't home.

so what do you think? should I get ducks? what do you love about ducks, and what do you hate about them if that's even possible.

I think I asked a similar question once but can't find it now so I'm asking again, sorry about that

shessowitte likes this.
  2. FathertoFeathers

FathertoFeathers Songster

Aug 26, 2019
    Tennessee
    Well when you're getting ducks you have to think about more than predators. You have to think about your climate as well. Since Iceland is very cold you would want to get a cold hardy breed such as a Swedish. I personally use a kiddie pool for my ducks and they seem to love it just fine. I have never had problems with minks before and regarding your concern about them getting your ducks during the day I don't think that is a problem. If they have their wings clipped then they can't fly off. They shouldn't have an interest in leaving as long as they're being fed and getting plenty of water. If they're with or by your chickens I don't think that you'll have a problem. As a person who absolutely adores ducks yes I think you should get them because they saved me from my depression. They are absolutely full of personality and are so much fun to watch. The only thing I don't care for is cleaning the pools when they need it. They are hard to lift and drain the stinky water from but its worth it.

Mybackyardpeepers likes this.
  3. Ratchnick

Ratchnick Chirping

Oct 13, 2019
    Anchorage Alaska
    Any breed of duck you get will be as cold hardy as a chicken. Moscovy are from South America and would be fine. Kiddy pool is popular for a pond. This is how you keep your ducks drinking water clean.

4. LilyLoo

LilyLoo Songster

Sep 15, 2018
    Arizona
    Ducks are messy that is just how they are what they are. They love water. They need to be able to bath and clean themselves more then once or twice a week. It is how they stay healthy. I understand wanting to limit certain messes certain times of the year or areas they bed down. But really ducks are messy and should be loved and appreciated the way they are. My ducks are happiest in the mud next to their pool or pond. They bath and play all day. If you want ducks it's just part of the package.

KaleIAm, lomine, BeanBoy and 2 others like this.
  5. Ratchnick

Ratchnick Chirping

Oct 13, 2019
    Anchorage Alaska
    The problem is full access to bathing water in winter. If you can keep them out of their drinking water that helps a bunch.

6. ConnieA

ConnieA Songster

Mar 9, 2015
    It's so cool that my current Muscovy queen is named "Solie"...the name came from her former owner. And she responds to her name!
    IMG_20190601_190900726.jpg
    I would go for hatching eggs, if you can get them. If you look up your import requirements, that may help you decide where to look for your Muscovies.

My Muscovies are fine, even in severe winters here in Missouri. Okay, it's not like Iceland, but you all have chickens there in Iceland, and ducks, let's face it, are more suited to cold than the junglefowl our chickens are descended from.

Mybackyardpeepers and sóley like this.
  7. sóley

sóley Songster

Feb 4, 2018
    What i meant is of there's a way to limit messines inside, but i would of course allow them to bath and be as þessu as they want when there outside .

I seen someone send a link to a video about this so i'm going to check that out, thanks everyone for good answears

8. Ratchnick

Ratchnick Chirping

Oct 13, 2019
    Anchorage Alaska
    To limit the mess inside, build a covered run and put the food and water out there. If you have water inside the bedding will be soaked and the birds will get frostbite.

Mybackyardpeepers and Miss Lydia like this.
  9. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Google diy duck pool drains. This is what I'm going to do next year for mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: