I'm wondering what I saw exactly at the park.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Moochie, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    It was interesting because I've never seen one like it before. Many of them swimming with the ducks.
    They are small, a bit smaller than the mallards I saw there, black, their beaks/bills are white and some have a red comb like thing on them, their eyes are red, and they have large interesting feet. The toes are long, a bit thick, and striped. Like the toes were an olive color with dark stripes. I can't remember what the legs looked like... But the feet is what caught my eye. I couldn't find the breed or type on here and I can't find any good duck breed sites with pictures. Or maybe it's not a duck. I don't know. Any ideas on what this cute creature is and where I can get some?
    I'm sorry I don't ave any pictures, they move quite fast.

2. PDurkin

PDurkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    Just a shot in the dark but an odd colored Muscovy?

3. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:I don't think a moorhen, they had some really big red comb things at the base of the bill and their bills were white.
    Don't coots have grey bodies with black heads? I'll just go with coot anyways, now where can I get me some of these gorgeous things [​IMG] ??

4. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    I'm thinking American Coot

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    American coot indeed! Thank you!
    Do I get these lovely birds from a hatchery, breeder, or an auction/bird show?

6. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:around here we just shoot them, no one eats them though. no idea where to get them. go to some swamp i guess!

7. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I don't know of any hatchery that raises coots. These are a wild waterfowl. I would ask the DNR office near you about obtaining them to domesticate.

8. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    What's a DNR office?
    Ah that's a shame... Anyone know when they breed or when they hatch their young? I know there's many out in the park swimming in that large pond (which also used to be a paddle boat pond!).
    >.>

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by