I'm wondering what she has and if I should cull

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ButchGood, Sep 22, 2012.

1. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    I noticed one of my hens was very weak, Laying in one spot a very log time, then I noticed green runny poop. Not eating much and and drinking little. Has not laid an egg for 3 days. I put her in isolation as soon as I saw her laying in the same place for half a day. Feathers don't have that green sheen like the other Australorps, eyes are clear and comb looks good.. She has improved in the last 2 days. Here poop is solid, but still slightly green, almost normal. Eating and drinking more but IMO not enough. And she is walking and talking some. If there is not 100% improvement in the next 48 hours I'm afraid I have to cull her. What I'm worried about is that if she makes a full recovery that she may be a carrier and could endanger the rest of the flock. What to do what to do?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  2. Bumping this post.

3. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Well it seems she has fully recovered. She was strong enough to fly out of the pen I had here quarantined in. Six foot high. She is eating and drinking, walking and talking, just acting like a chicken scratching and foraging. I have not noticed her going to the nesting boxes yet. The other 13 are still the picture of health. I am giving them all a multi-vitamin in there water to give them a little immune boost. I guess I'm OK here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by