1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm workin my soap makin tail off!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Southern28Chick, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    DH made me 11 (!!!!) new soap molds. They're 8 pound "loaf" molds as opposed to my 8 pound "slab" molds. I can make the same amount of soap in the new molds without having to "shave off" a lot of scrap soap from the finished product. This means a little less work for me and a whole lot less waste.

The bars are actually bigger too!!! They are the exact diminsions of the soap boxes. It may not make since why they're bigger, let me see if I can explain:
    The slab mold made 25 bars that were 2"x3" and 1.25" thick.
    The new loaf molds make 30 bars that are 2"x3.5" and 1" thick.
    With the slab mold I was having to "shave" .25" off of the thickness for the soaps to fit in a 1" thick soap box.
    Does that make since?

I've made 240 bars in 2 days. [​IMG]

Here's a picture of the "old" Eucalyptus bar and the new, the newest bar is on the right. You'll notice the bar is a different color, that's because I changed the recipe to include more palm oil so it's whiter.
    [​IMG]

Now with a bigger bar maybe I won't get to many people mad about the price increase.

2. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Woohoo! I'm looking forward to ordering when you're taking orders again. No one should be mad about the price increase anyone- you have to charge enough to make a living!! Now- get back to that shed & make some more oatmeal!!![​IMG]

3. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

I've made 240 bars in 2 days

GEEZEO it takes me all day to make my one batch!! LOL [​IMG]

That is a LOT of soap!!!​

4. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Woohoo! I'm looking forward to ordering when you're taking orders again. No one should be mad about the price increase anyone- you have to charge enough to make a living!! Now- get back to that shed & make some more oatmeal!!!

I agree... except... get back to that shed and make some Lavender!!! [​IMG]

And yes, let us know when we can order!!!! Please [​IMG]

5. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I'm done for today. I made 120 bars, 30 of each of these:
    3 new ones:
    Cucumber Melon
    Pumpkin Spice
    Vanilla
    and the not so new:
    Chamomile and Calendula

Tomorrow I have to do some tax work for a guy I was working for almost a year ago, he sold his landscapse supply business and I finally had a reason to open my soap business because I was unemployed.

I go to his house (he's 71) and do some tax work and teach him how to use his computer for about 6 hours and I get paid $100. I only go about once a month.

But after that I'll be back in the soap shed for the rest of the week and weekend!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  6. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:after 6 hours its lunch time, so get home put on the apron and soap up a couple more batches before its time to make Danny his dinner.

7. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    That pumpkin spice sounds great. I can't wait til we can order some.

8. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    Do you make sample basket type things.. a collection of all your soaps in smaller sample sizes that someone could give as a gift when they dont know what scent another person might like?? Maybe with a loufa in the basket or a nice wash cloth or something?? I have three sister-in-laws and a mother-in-law, I think something like that would be perfect for them for christmas.. if you do have or plan on having something like that let me know..

9. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Isn't pumpkin suppose to be very appealing to men...lol. I can see women flocking to suds up with that woooo-hooooooo

Will have to remember to check back on your website, they all sound great!!

Julie [​IMG]

10. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    I would like to order some goats milk soap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by