I'm worried about getting chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pennygirl, Mar 13, 2016.

1. pennygirl

pennygirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2015
    I am 15 and I fell in love with a production red I had for three and a half years before she died of cancer. I want another four red hens just like her in personality. Meaning I want them to be docile friendly and come running up to me when I call. I asked which red hens are the best because I don't need mad egg layers I just need good hens. What I found is that you guys love red sexlinks and buff orpingtons but Rhode Island reds can be bossy. I decided to get four red sexlinks but recently I have heard some scary things about hen health issues

One in particular is some chickens are bred to produce so many eggs of good quality for so long they can blow out their egg system and obviously if you want eggs you can get the eggs and when she dies you can eat her but I would never do such a thing I wan them as companions and egg laying is just a bonus

I want your opinion on the nicest healthiest sweetest hens out there with good personality and the reassurance my sweet little hens won't have egg system blowouts or a shortened lifespan

I am also getting goats with the chicks

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think that there will be less reproductive tract problems with buff orpingtons than with sex link hens.

3. pennygirl

pennygirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2015
    Cool
    What about newhapshire reds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by