I'm worried about Jimi Hendrix...Angel Wing help please.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redhen, Mar 24, 2009.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I think he has Angel Wing... [​IMG] i must have fed him the wrong food! [​IMG] is there anything i can do for him to reverse it? or stop it from getting worse..what do you guys think? is this Angel Wing??

[​IMG][​IMG]

also, this is Chewy..does he have a slight case of it also? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

these are my others..can you see the differance in the wing formation? theirs do not stick up at all..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  2. Shanay235

Shanay235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    WV
    Trying to bump this up.

I have an 8 week old gosling with the exact same condition. I have no idea what it's called but I'm very interested in the answer. Anyone?????????????????????????

3. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I have no idea.. CUTE Duckies though! [​IMG] What kind are they?

Nancy

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Hi Nancy.. Jimi is a crested Cayuga, and Chewy is crested Magpie, and the grey one is a crested Blue Swedish...i love 'um, but i cant wait till they are old enough and it warms up enough to put them outside.... duckies are hard to keep in the house... [​IMG]

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

6. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    If it's truly angel wing I don't think it's reversible. I was told that too much protein can cause it when I was rearing my goslings. Even if it is, they're still awfully cute and I don't think it should cause them any harm - except of course flying difficulties.
    Sorry. Wish I knew more about it.
    Did you feed them all the same thing?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    anyone?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Hi, yes, i fed them all the same thing... i feel so bad! i once saw an adult duck with it and it was so sad... i hope i can do something?!....when i first got them at 3 days old i fed them Poulin game bird starter..(i thought they needed it for the extra niacin), then i switched to 1/2 game and 1/2 chick starter.(Dumor)....then i went to all chick starter (20%) ...today i put them on 1/2 chick and 1/2 grower (15%)...[​IMG]

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I had a couple of young ducks that were developing angel wing - the new wings were growing straight out from the body - at an angle. I used Vet Wrap and wrapped the wing, under the top wing, in place where it should be, and then wrapped with vetwrap - left the end open so the wing could continue to grow out. Took it off about a week and half - two weeks later after seeing lots of new long wing quills growing out end of vetwrapped area and the wing stayed in place. The quills were a little heavy till the white waxy coating came off but when it did the wings were good as new. Never could tell which ducks had the "issue" originally.

When wrapping, be sure to loop it over the "shoulder" or they will just slip it off the wing. Once they were wrapped, the lower wing, which was wrapped, sat under the upper wing and feathers of the body and you could barely see the colored vetrap. Just take a close look at how the wing should fold up and wrap accordingly, leaving the end open so the wing can continue to grow out longer.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by