Im worried about my duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Brittanyluvsherduck, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Brittanyluvsherduck

Brittanyluvsherduck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    I had two ducks but one of them has gone missing, the other duck seems to be very distraught, is there anything i can do for her? also her beak feels very warm, can ducks run fevers?

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

My ducks get that hot beak thing And it worried me at first , but they were OK, I'm sure they can get a fever. Is your missing duck just brooding somewhere you think? [​IMG]

3. Brittanyluvsherduck

Brittanyluvsherduck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    Well, I have/had two Rouen ducks, and Im not sure if they are male or female, but I got them just at the start of this spring, normally they hang around the house all day (i have a pool for them up here) and then they go down to the pont to sleep at night, they like to hide in this one bush. But this morning I was woken up by my duck Claire just quacking so loudly and then I noticed the other one was gone. there were no signs of a struggle with anything like no large about of feathers and as far as I know they can;t really fly far except for like across the yard. also they never leave eachother

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It sounds like a predator may have carried the duck away. I hope I am wrong, but the other duck is obviously distraught, and a bush is not good protection from predators.

Foxes, for example, tend to grab a duck and run, at least those around here act that way.

A predator generally returns to where it has found food. Can you put the other duck in a truly safe place?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by