I'm worried about my pigs this winter.. Advice please.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by redhen, Dec 6, 2009.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    They are PBP and this is their first winter outside. Does anyone know if they can freeze to death outside when it gets really cold? What would you put in their pig house for warmth. They are PBP, so they are not really made to be out in the cold..i'm so worried that they'll suffer outside. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Their barn is 8x8.. and it will be insulated for them next weekend.. i can run a small wall mounted heater out there for them..but will that be worse for them? As in, they wont get used to the cold if i put a heater out there... I'm stressing over this big time.. i keep thinking of them being freezing cold outside and suffering.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

We had a PBP outside once when I was growing up and we just made sure it had a place to get in out of the weather and then lots of thick hay to hide under. It lived until my mom got tired of it eating everything in sight and then she went to a petting zoo for special needs kids.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    As long as it has a dry shelter to get out of the weather it should be fine.

I have 3 pigs out and they do very well on their own with the shleter we have provided and plenty of hay to snuggle in. We had snow over this weekend and they are happy and fine and love the warm food we bring out for them.

4. accio! chickens

accio! chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    CANADA
    My brothers french teacher has a PBP and it lives in a bank barn and it's perfectly content. We can get as low as -35 C

5. chris_m90731

chris_m90731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    neighbor of mine years ago had a few PBG and she had a little shed out in the back rigged up with a "PIG BLANKET."
    essentially a large heating pad that prevents the swine from destroying it and causing a fire. must be connected to a power source.
    but as long as you've got them somewhere dry with a heat source, you should be fine.
    and as a matter of fact, i've used smaller versions for my tortoises...
    check this out

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    THanks guys! And the pig blanket! Duh..how could i have forgotten about one of those! [​IMG]
    I heard about them when i had my tort also..
    good ideas guys, thanks! [​IMG]

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Red! Why aren't those poor little babies inside, sleeping on the bed? Tsk, tsk.

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Yep, ask hubby what he needs in the barn to be comfie, cause you're moving him out and the pigs in! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:I know..I hate it.. [​IMG]
    But when i got Dyson Fixed he started to pee in the house..nothing i did worked..(i think the vet screwed up his sugery and made him incontinent..)
    so instead of moving just the one pig outside where hed be lonely..i moved them all outside.. [​IMG]

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:nah...he usually goes in the dog house... tee hee hee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by