I'm worried about my school's Muscovy drake.

Kyle the duck

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2021
Hi. I attend a university in central Alabama, and my school has a Muscovy drake who hangs out by the lake by some of the dorms. He is there all the time. I've never seen him anywhere else, and I visit him every day just to hang out. It's getting a bit cold since it's mid November, and he seems fine right now, but I've done some research, and it can be dangerous for him if the weather is under 10-20 degrees for prolonged periods. In addition, we get a pretty decent amount of rain here, even in the winter. I'm worried about him. I don't want him to get frostbitten feet or caruncles or develop hypothermia. Is there anything I can do to prepare him for the winter or keep him safe when the temperature gets low?

It’s great that you’ve made friends with this duck! Don’t worry about him, he’ll be okay. Birds are smart and I’d bet he’s been around long enough to have winter figured out. We have 3 ducks in Nebraska and they have survived negative temperatures and snow for a couple of weeks. Not only did they survive it but they had a blast! My chickens thought it was the end of the world, but the ducks were playing in the snow as soon as I let them out in the day. Besides, from what I know of Alabama, it doesn’t get in the 10s-20s degrees Fahrenheit for extended periods of time (I would consider a couple weeks) very often.

It’s great that you’ve made friends with this duck! Don’t worry about him, he’ll be okay. Birds are smart and I’d bet he’s been around long enough to have winter figured out. We have 3 ducks in Nebraska and they have survived negative temperatures and snow for a couple of weeks. Not only did they survive it but they had a blast! My chickens thought it was the end of the world, but the ducks were playing in the snow as soon as I let them out in the day. Besides, from what I know of Alabama, it doesn’t get in the 10s-20s degrees Fahrenheit for extended periods of time (I would consider a couple weeks) very often.
Thanks. Yeah, in TN/AL, it stays below 20 for 2+ weeks straight only 1-3 times a year, which isn't too crazy.

Hi. I attend a university in central Alabama, and my school has a Muscovy drake who hangs out by the lake by some of the dorms. He is there all the time. I've never seen him anywhere else, and I visit him every day just to hang out. It's getting a bit cold since it's mid November, and he seems fine right now, but I've done some research, and it can be dangerous for him if the weather is under 10-20 degrees for prolonged periods. In addition, we get a pretty decent amount of rain here, even in the winter. I'm worried about him. I don't want him to get frostbitten feet or caruncles or develop hypothermia. Is there anything I can do to prepare him for the winter or keep him safe when the temperature gets low?
It's so sweet your concerned about this Muscovy drake. Other than maybe feeding him [don't know if you do?} Finding him a home where he would have inside shelter would be my other suggestion. Are there other Muscovy living on campus too? My Muscovy drake has had frost bite on his carnucles a few times but it has healed. Hopefully you drake will be able to find shelter if the weather gets rough. Bless you for caring.

It's so sweet your concerned about this Muscovy drake. Other than maybe feeding him [don't know if you do?} Finding him a home where he would have inside shelter would be my other suggestion. Are there other Muscovy living on campus too? My Muscovy drake has had frost bite on his carnucles a few times but it has healed. Hopefully you drake will be able to find shelter if the weather gets rough. Bless you for caring.
Thanks for the advice. There aren't any other Muscovies living here, at least not that I've seen. Kyle is definitely the only one that hangs out on this side of campus. I might try to talk to the grounds lady about him and see if she knows how he could stay warm.

Back
Top Bottom