1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

!!!!!!!!!!I'm worried as to what this is? PICS INCLUDED

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IrishBoy, Sep 4, 2009.

1. IrishBoy

IrishBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    so one of our hens ... has had this for a bit m she eats fine, drinks fine , runs around the field fine but i don'y know is she laying ...

any ideas dudes and dudetts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. eekgads

eekgads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Central VA
    Is this a prolapse? I'm not sure since I've never had one (knock on wood).

If so, here's some articles on http://www.avianweb.com/Prolapse.htm

Also
    , there's a thread on BYC entitled "Please Help My Chicken With Prolapse" w/ lots of good answers.

3. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    [​IMG]
    Personally I have never seen anything like that. Could be a tumor -egg bound - it didn't look like a prolapse to me but who knows ?

Many smart chicken people here - somebody will know ?
    Does she appear in pain ?
    Are the others pecking her bum? You may want to isolate her.

Good luck [​IMG]

4. feckless_son

feckless_son Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    Too close to Boston
    isolate her for safety, apply warm (not hot) water via cloths, then Preparation H to relieve the inflammation.

5. IrishBoy

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:swear to god , no pain is obvious! .. and the other chickens don't peck or anything .. .

6. IrishBoy

Aug 3, 2009
    there is nothing hanging out or anything , just seems really .. puffed up .. lik big !

7. caralouise1974

caralouise1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably internal laying - this looks like ascites (fluid build up, related to inflammation) or simply lots of egg-matter acumulating in her abdomen. She could end up with egg peritonitis eventually, which is invariably fatal, but if she's fine for now, then all good. She may manage to live out another few years with this condition, if she's lucky. It's best to leave well alone.

There's not much you can do for her anyway, if it is internal laying, apart from expensive hysterectomy surgery.

If she's healthy and well otherwise, I'd just keep an eye on her.

8. lavandula girl

lavandula girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I was going to suggest ascites, as well. I read that both brewer's yeast and vitamin c have been shown to help with the alleviation of this, but I have no idea how they are supposed to be administered. Of course, that's assuming she has it. I would isolate her and see if she is, indeed, laying. It'd give you a really good indicator if there's internal laying going on, and you could do a serious inspection of her whole body.

9. SurprisingWoman

SurprisingWoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    South Weber, UT
    Ow! owowowowowow. That looks so painful. I will be watching this thread. Please keep us informed of how it goes. Poor girl.

10. toredano

toredano Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Grainger County,TN
    How can that be NOT painful?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by