I'm worried I poisoned my chickens with too much worm medicine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by maddyaugust, Jun 25, 2016.

1. maddyaugust

maddyaugust Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2015
    I just gave my chickens the worminator worm medicine - the directions said 2 drops per chicken. For some reason when I gave them the medicine I thought this meant a full dropper. Now I'm worried that is way too much and I poisoned my dear chickens. It is a small dropper that came w/5 ml bottle. But a dropper full is not a drop. I feel terrible. Will this kill them???

thank you

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pyrantel pamoate can be toxic if too much is given. Seizures can be a common sign. One link I saw says that atropine is an antidote, but that would have to be given by a vet. Also it may be too late. Hopefully, your chickens will be fine, though. Make sure they are eating and drinking well. Valbazen and SafeGuard wormers are much safer to use and less likely to overdose. I really hope your chickens survive, and good luck.

3. maddyaugust

maddyaugust Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2015
    Thank you - through all good grace the chickens seem to be doing fine, eating drinking clucking, so I will count this experience as lesson learned!

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh, that is so good to hear, and I'm sure that you are very happy.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Did anyone ever figure out what the active ingredient in this is? I called them, but they refused to tell me what it was.

-Kathy

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I had found a link that said that it was pyrantal palmoate.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, sorry, after I posted the link I saw, I read the discussion thread about how vague the ingredients were, and how Twin Cities refused to give the ingredients or claimed they didn't know what they were.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    resubscribing

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by