I'm worried that I put my hen house in the wrong place

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Peephouse, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Peephouse

Peephouse Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    San Diego
    I am concerned that I have put my hen house in the wrong place. My neighbors have had chickens for about 2 years and there hen house is up against my chain link fence way out in the end of my very long lot. I am a beginner at this. So not knowing all the problems chickens can get I have built my coop and house on the other side of the fence, the hen house is about 15 feet from the fence and there run. Now I am worried that my chickens ( which I haven't gotten yet, the end of May they are being shipped) and there chickens will be too close. I have spend a bunch of money on the hen house and the fencing for the run and I feel very nervous about even getting chickens now after reading all the posts about closed flock and health hazards. There chickens are running all over there really big field they come back to there coop and go to bed and appear really healthy and happy. They are the reason I want chickens. Please help me with some advice. They think it is just fine I am getting birds. I don't think they read byc.
    [​IMG]
    Nancy

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    It does pose huge biosecurity issues.

Can the coop be moved?

3. Peephouse

Feb 18, 2009
    San Diego
    No it's big and heavy and up on a small terrace about 3 feet high plus I have put in a 100' x 50" fence that is 7 ft high.
    Nancy

4. Peephouse

Feb 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Would a wood fence between the 2 yards help?
    Nancy

5. Peephouse

Feb 18, 2009
    San Diego
    How close can flocks be anyway? Is there a number in feet or miles or on another planet? Any ideas here, I am pretty sick over this.
    Nancy

6. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I would suggest just making sure the chickens cannot come in contact with each other. If your run is not right up against the fence, it should be OK but no free-ranging unless you put a privacy fence between the 2 properties or an additional line of fencing. This would be my solution, unless you can be assured the other chickens are healthy.

7. Peephouse

Feb 18, 2009
    San Diego
    My run is up against their fence. It is the fence that separates out our2 yards Would a wood fence along this fence be enough or do I need to do the "Bubble Boy thing" ?
    Nancy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by