1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Im worried!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by quail kid, Apr 14, 2009.

1. quail kid

quail kid Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Hello,

My chick doesnt open his eyes and i did the method for curled toes but he cant stand up well he is trying but cant i put the the cardboard and some micropore tape about half an hour ago so is it normal for him not to stand up yet?Also he doesnt eat or drink?
    Is that normal?Also is there a way i can open his beak and put a bit of food?
    Sorry for all these questions.

Thanks

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Well first off how old is this chicks?

Have you dipped his beak tip in water?

Do you have sugar or electrolytes in his water?

You can make a soupy mix of his chicken starter and water and use a syringe (no needle) or eye dropper and gently squeeze it into his mouth. To open the beak, use two fingers on the top beak and gently pull up. Make sure you have his head secured in the palm of your hand...then gently squeeze some food mixture into the mouth...but be careful not to get it too far back or too much at one time...he could drown easily.

Good luck with him and it may take him a while to stand on his own and walk with the cardboard. Just make sure he is getting food and water especially if he is keeping his eyes closed or more than a couple days old.

3. quail kid

Mar 15, 2009
    Hello,

He is 1 day old.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Remember that they absorb the yolk before they hatch and do not need water or food for 2 or 3 days. Just keep an eye on him and try to get a little water in him.

If you have electrolytes for the water that would be great if not, put a little sugar in it.

5. quail kid

Mar 15, 2009
    Hello,

What is electrolytes?

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    electrolytes are like gatorade for us...they help replenish the body so it does not dehydrate. You can get them at the farm store where you get their food. It will be a powder form and most often have vitamins and minerals in it too. It will say for chickens/poultry on it.

In a pinch, yu can mix a tiny bit of gatorade in the water also. The important thing is to keep him from getting dehydrated, give him a little energy boost and get some food in him.

How is he this morning?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by