im worried

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickachickawhat, May 8, 2008.

1. chickachickawhat

chickachickawhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    my favorite chicken looks sick. when i went out to check on them this morning then all came running out except her she was just standing in the corner. i went to check on them this after noon she was inside just standing there. then about 20 minutes ago i went to let them out and free range she didnt come so i picked her up and put her outside but she didnt even scratch. what do you think is wrong? the only difference i see in her besides just standing there is that she look like she is puffed out

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Could she be egg bound??

3. chickachickawhat

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    whats that mean?

4. chickflick

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Is she laying? If so, some times they get an egg "stuck" inside of her. I've never had one do that, so if you do a search on "egg bound" you'll get some answers. I know people give them warm baths to help and walk them around to get things moving.

5. chickflick

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Is she sneezing or running nose/eyes or anything? Sometimes you can give them vitamins to help them feel better....childrens if you don't have any thing else...or put a little sport drink in her water. Can you separate her fromt he others so she can rest?

6. chickachickawhat

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    im pretty sure she layed today. and if i have a old rabbit cage in the coop should i put her in that for the night or what? shes not sneezing or anything

7. chickflick

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Yes, I would separate her and give her a place to rest. Sometimes the other chickens will pick on a sick hen. Can you give her some vitamins? Is her crop hard or squishy?

8. chickachickawhat

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    the other chickens are protecting her it seems like when i came to the coop to check her out they all started to peck me and things so i think i will let her stay with the others. and whats a crop? and what kind of vitamins?

9. chickflick

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Her crop will be on the right side of her chest... it's where the food goes before it get digested. You'll see a "swelling" or large lump on her chest. It should feel hard...like there's an egg in there. If it's soft and squishy, it could be an inpacted crop.

10. chickachickawhat

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    thanks i will check it out in the morning

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by