1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Im worried.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by youngchickgirl, Feb 3, 2014.

1. youngchickgirl

youngchickgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2014
    Dunlap Il
    Irs day 22. Still nothing. I see them wobbling occasionally, but no pips. Is it too dry in there? My incubator doesn't tell you the humidity level, but it says to add water to the second trough on day 18 and I did. I am about to like cry, its my first time incubating.

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Just hold on! You are close! Don't open the incubator to get the first babies out because you will lose all the humidity and the other babies will get stuck. If they get stuck to their shells they will die without help. It may take days. Be patient!

3. youngchickgirl

Jan 28, 2014
    Dunlap Il
    Okay. None are piped but they are vibrating in there so is it a good idea to add water? Its comptetly dry. Should I wrap the eggs ok n a warm wet paper towel?

4. youngchickgirl

Jan 28, 2014
    Dunlap Il
    I ment is it ok to wrap them up in a warm towel

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You might want to post on the Incubating and Hatching eggs forum about your hatch. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs But if your incubator is dry, I would quickly add water, if no eggs have pipped it shouldn't hurt them and you need to get the humidity up asap. Not sure why you want to wrap them in a towel?

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

7. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    If it is dry, add water ASAP! Eggs will not hatch unless there is around 70% humidity. You must up the humidity now. Do it directly, like putting a bowl of water right in there to get humidity up. I would spray the incubator with some water too. Give it mist to get the humidity going. If the eggs are vibrating, then you need to get that humidity really high in a very short time!

8. youngchickgirl

Jan 28, 2014
    Dunlap Il
    Okay! Will do! Is there a chance that the shells are too thick? I just read online that wrapping them in a warm wet towel it will help it get more humid or something. When is it time to try the water test when you put them in water? Will candling be necessary? Haha sorry I am full of questions that none of the people I have spoken to in person have answered me properly.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    There is a great article in the BYC Learning Center on hatching https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 If you need to up the humidity more, if you have room put a bowl or something of water with a sponge in the incubator. Are you able to measure the humidity? What sort of incubator are you using? Right now I would not candle if the eggs are moving, or do the water test until day 25 or so, the water test is useful to tell if there are any live chicks at a late date. Did you keep track of weight loss or air cell size on the eggs? The shells could be too think, but it would be unusual.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by