I'm writing a book about my chickens! Please read.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickLover98, Dec 26, 2010.

1. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Hello! I am writing a book about my chickens, hopefully to get it published. I will post more here periodically for you to read. I would love it if you would post comments and feedback. I have the first chapter partly done so here it is...

“Mr. Green Jeans.” I looked at my phone and read the text that my friend sent me. “No… It just doesn’t sound right.” I typed back. “Then what about Big Red?” I looked at the screen. I couldn’t believe her. “He’s not red. He is white. Look.” I was in a heated discussion with my friend over what to name my new rooster. She owned 8 chickens. I owned 7 at the time.
    I sent her a picture of him. He looked like a mess. He had a bloody comb, a horrible case of scaly leg mites, his feathers were broken and ugly and he was terribly frantic. A mess. He was my new rescue rooster… and I loved him. He was in a cage in the coop. The six Amber Link hens were out free ranging and I was seated on the newly built roost.
    “Oh. Well, I don’t know.” she replied. I took a good look at him. As of now, I called him “roo”, which would not suit him. “Hmmm… What about James?” I asked. “I don’t know.” my friend replied. “Jasper? Jasper or James?” “Jasper… But I like James, too.” “Ok. Then Jasper it is.” I decided.
    I took a good look at him. Jasper. It fit him well! I loved him. I knew he would clean up well. He has a story. And now he has a home. A home of his own. His home. It’s his. Finally. He owns it for the first time. His story isn’t the most exciting, but it makes you feel good inside. It makes me feel good inside.
    I was talking to my grandpa for a long time about getting a rooster. We just couldn’t find one. Until today. I was out shopping with my grandma and my grandpa was going motorcycling with his friend. When we got back, I thought nothing of it. I saw a dog crate sitting out by the back building. Very peculiar item, don’t you think?
    I pranced into the garage. “Hey Pap! Why is there a dog crate out there? Cobie can’t fit in it anymore.” I asked. “Ok, you caught me! You know how you wanted a rooster? Did you want a big one?” he said. “Yes! Yes! Yes!” I hopped up and down. “What color did you want?” he pressed. “Red, but I don’t care. I don’t care.” I said excitedly. “He’s white. He’s out back, if you want to see him. Mike and I picked him up for you from Maher’s.” my pap said. Before he could get another word out, I shrieked, jumped up and down, and then took off running up the back of the driveway to see my rooster. And that’s when I saw him in the cage.
    How big! Whoa, and look at that comb! Wow! He’s mine! He’s actually mine! I was elated. Suddenly my grandparents came around the corner. “Where did you get him? I love him! Thank you thank you thanks so much!” I yelled, out of breath. “Maher had 4 roosters. This guy was the smallest…” Let me interrupt. In my eyes, this guy was absolutely not in any way small. “And the youngest. He wasn’t getting enough to eat. He was always getting beat up. Mike, Mr. Maher and I chased him around for a good 20 minutes. Finally, Mr. Maher scooped him up by the legs. Here he is…” my pap explained. “Woow! Thanks so much! Yay, yay, yay, yay, yay!” I shouted, “Eeeeep!”

I would love comments or feedback on it! Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Fun.

3. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks! I'm working on some more.

4. PoultryGirl

PoultryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I'm so happy you guys like it! Im working on chapter two!

6. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

It is sounding very good!

Writing can be easy and FUN if you enjoy your Subject and know it well.

Keep it up! YOU are doing FINE !!! [​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

7. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks so much! I do enjoy writing alot! In fact, chickens and writing are two of my most favorite things, so this is just awesome!

8. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Here is some more!

We introduced him to the hens within one day and he was out free ranging in 2 days. I haven’t seen such a fast-adapting bird. He did his job, and he did it well. He was growing, believe it or not, and his feathers were growing back and gaining some color to them. He was a healthy bird… Now to deal with the scaly leg mites.
    Unfortunately, he wasn’t the tamest guy in the world. He wouldn’t let you get within 3 feet of him. We tried trapping him in the coop and capturing him, but the outcome was my grandma getting her arm scratched and bloody. As anyone could see, that wouldn’t work. But, how would we get that stupid Vaseline on him? I was getting hopeless until my uncle suggested to scoop him off of his perch in the dark.
    So one late Wednesday night, at about 9:00 pm (Yeah, it was a school night, but I wasn’t tired.) I crept out to the coop and met my grandma. My dad came out, too. I was equipped with nothing but the burn pile’s fire. It was a pretty big fire, so it was easy to see in the coop. I opened the door, Vaseline in my hand, and snuck into the back of the coop. Of course, Jasper woke up and let out a big “Bok bok buck buck bok!” He stood up. I slowly closed in on my target. I started off with stroking him lightly. Oh, my goodness! This is a big moment! I’ve never touched him before!
    I applied the Vaseline carefully. After that, I spent the next 15 minutes petting and stroking him. I liked it. He was so big and feathery and awesome! I was feeling daring, so I carefully wrapped my arms around him and scooped him off of the hen boxes. Wow! To my surprise, he didn’t mind! I held him close to me and hugged him. When I thought he had enough, I carefully sat him back down on the roost. This felt so good to me, being able to handle him for the first time!
    I ended up doing three more of these night jobs, spending most of the time petting him. In the end, though, I was covered in Vaseline.

9. PoultryGirl

PoultryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Quote:Keep up the good work! [​IMG]

10. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by