Im writing a chicken book

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Vamp-A-Billy Princess, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I am starting writing my chicken book tonight. Any info people have or info that they'd like to see let me know. Also if anyone has any publishing hookups llet me know that too. Wish me luck.

2. appleton78

appleton78 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    Hutchinson, MN
    Great luck on your book!!! I don't have any sage advice, but I am sending you the best thoughts.... [​IMG]

Michele in MN

3. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    The Writer's Market is a book that lists tons of publishers and what they require to accept your manuscript. If you are serious it is worth the cost.
    Better would be a funny chicken stories compilation.......

4. Kitty&Eva

Kitty&Eva Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2007
    Colorado
    that's great! will this be a how-to book? funny chicken stories would be a great book too. or a story about lives with chickens - kind of like Marley and Me if anyone's read that - highly recommended if you haven't!

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree with Kitty&Eva - lots of funny stories that play up the great personalities of these guys!

Lots of color pictures. I love looking at the pictures over and over - we all appreciate beautiful birds!

Best of luck to you!

6. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    Make sure to tell people what and where the crop is! I read six chicken books before i got mine none mention a single thing so i freaked out when one chicken had a lump on it's chest [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  7. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I think it will lean towards funny stories of chickens. = do though have to inclue Bo's journey and the horrible plight of the cornish x(my son's pet) Maybe a bit of how tos at the beginning then individual stories and since Im a photographer a Ton of color pics. What I started writing is about my journey into chickening. How the feed store happened to have these cute bantams that I had to have down to the decision to breed Marans. This has all happened in three weeks so I take all opinions. Sagely or newbie. Anyone have a funny story they want to add? I got 3 pages done last night. Not much but a start. The husband was in bed and I had to write in the dark...More today though. Thanks for the input everyone!
    -Miss Annie

8. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    How about sprinkling in the funny stories, and sad ones, in with related how-to's? Kinda so it flows interesting, educational, and experiences.

9. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    www.lulu.com is a self-publishing site. It's free to put your books on and the prices are not too bad. And if you want to sell thru Amazon etc, you can purchase an ISBN fairly reasonably. Not to mention you retain all rights to your book. They also have ebook options as well.

10. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

"My Fine Feathered Friend" by William Grimes is about a chicken that showed up in a backyard in Queens.
    I agree that stories mixed with useful info would be great. There are a lot of technical books available, but as a chicken addict, I would enjoy a book with a great mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by