Images wanted for ideas of housing

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by anthonyjames, May 5, 2011.

1. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    So I have added big time to my flock of hens. Currently I have 50. But I just added 150 more to my flock. I want to put them out on pasture with other hens and there are many things I have read and have mental images of for pasture housing.

Eggmobiles, trailers, etc. Can people post some images of what they have possibly a few of them to get the full scope?

Thanks

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I just built a hoop house for my meaties, and after I got it done and was looking, I think it would be great to house hens out on the pasture. It's 5' at the apex of the arch, which is plenty of height for a roost and to get the nesting box up off the ground. I will get a pic of it and post. I was a bit skeptical about this style of tractor at first, but after using it for a week now, I really like it. I told my DW it was the G2 model.

3. Sundown_Farmer

Sundown_Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
    bigredfeather,
    I'm anxious to see what you built. I also want to hear from you after a wind storm. I have high hopes...

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:..........Ha, ha, ha. You know, I had concerns about this even before I started building it. I'm hoping the treated 2"x6"s I used for the base will be enough weight on the bottom to hold it down in the event of high winds. It is pretty heavy. I hope I'm right and you're wrong.

5. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Two tractors, similar in design. 2 feet tall, 8x8. Each one currently houses 30+ CX.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. anthonyjames

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    Just so everyone is aware I am looking for idea's for layers. I know many of you have lots of them.

I am looking for something that is moveable and easily made but won't blow away and can hold 150 to 300 layers

7. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I saw this thread, and tried to reply. However, being a new poster, I am not allowed to post any pictures.

What we have done is take old hay wagon running gears and build 8' x 16' gambrel roofed chicken coops on them.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  8. TDM

I'll try again .....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. anthonyjames

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    TDM,

It looks like you built a solid floor in there as well. Nice looking moveable coop.

10. TDM

Quote:I made the beams from four 2" x 8" x 16' pressure treated boards, laminated in pairs. Then I used five 4" x 4" x 8' pressure treated boards spaced every four feet, with 2" x 4" x 8' pressure treated boards on 16" centers between the 4" x 4" s. The deck was then covered with 3/4" pressure treated 4' x 8' s.

I allow 2 square feet per bird, considering that they only use the coop to lay and roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by