1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

imfo on getting started

Discussion in 'Quail' started by dmccann, Oct 19, 2011.

1. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    I was wondering how expensive it is to raise quail,what is the easiest breed ?What type of housing?Thx

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    I am new to the quail thing but they are dead easy as far as farm enimals go.

They raise well on wire so a cage does well, if you want to give them more space it gets tricky though because they are flyers and will hurt them selves smashing into a ridgid covered run.

The corturnix are amazing in how quick they grow and start to produce eggs, should be able to start out with adult birds for about 5 bucks a piece and if you want to go with hatching eggs it is a very quick start up in 6 months you can literally go from a dozen hatching eggs to 100 plus birds if you wanted

3. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    Thx for the info

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Coturnix are pretty easy. They do eat a lot but as for housing, they are easy to maintain. Very addicting creatures of feather [​IMG]

5. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Coturnix are very easy to maintain, mine are on the ground. They don't ever want to be picked up, but when I go in the enclosure they will come up and are very inquisitive...peck at shoe laces. Mine don't startle and fly up because they're used to us, but for that "just in case" The top of our roof is lined with poultry wire to prevent a hard stop against the roof. Keep their area clean, dry, and feed proper diet...they're easier to maintain than the birds we have on the farm.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    You need to keep them apart from your chickens. They eat game bird feed, which costs more than chicken feed, but they don't eat anywhere near as much as chickens. I can send you pics of my new quail duplex as I built it if you send me your email addy
    I love my coturnix, the main problem is when I open the door, they all want to see me and run to the front! I lost one that flew away, so now if the get out and I catch them, I trim one wing so they can't fly far. They come in a bunch of cool colors and make neat hooting sounds but quieter than rooster crowing, which is good . Get some eggs and hatch 'em! The babies are amazingly small and cute!

7. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Quote:I've not had any get out in a while, but after the first time of DW and I trying to case down a quail...I fashioned a "quail net", looks similar to a fishing net, made it with 1/4" x 1/4" deer netting. Formed a loop with some 1/4" wire stock I had laying around and attached it to an old broom stick. Looks won't impress you, but it does catch the little buggarts easily with no harm to them and less running for me [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by