Immaculate conception?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by unaspenser, Dec 9, 2009.

1. unaspenser

unaspenser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Southwest Idaho
    I have not had any roosters around my hens since about September, but my only current layer, Martha the Barred Rock, continues to lay eggs that appear fertile (have a little red dot on the yolk that appears to be an early embryo). What is going on? I need to get a pic of what they look like, I know, but how is this happening? There is absolutely NO CHANCE of her getting anywhere near a male. Anybody know what's up?

2. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    I thought fertility was shown by a bulls eye on the yolk. My non-rooster hens lay eggs with a red spot too.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Every egg has a dot on the yolk. The bullseye around the dot is an indication of fertilization.

Speckledhen has a post with photos you can look at if you search it out.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Could it be a meat spot?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sounds to me like what you are seeing is a blood spot, which some hens seem to have a tendency towards laying. It does not indicate a fertile egg.
    A fertile egg will have a "bullseye", a white dot surrounded by a white ring. (There's pictures here on BYC showing fertile vs. non-fertile eggs, but I can't find them right now).
    Here's information on blood spots: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/28/blood-spots
    Pics
    of fertile eggs vs. non-fertile: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008

And
    Joe, how does your DW manage to live with you? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Ooops, sorry, I thought that this post was about me.

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:I just want to say that YOU crack me up .. every freakin' thread I've been on today ..

To the OP: You've got great advise here ..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by