1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Immediate advice needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by yolkoroo, Sep 17, 2011.

1. yolkoroo

yolkoroo Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    A stray dog attacked and killed most of my chickens this morning. One silkie survived, hiding, but is panting heavily with no apparent injury. What can I do for her?

2. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I'm so sorry for your loss. For your surviving bird, I would put her somewhere warm, and dark. Perhaps house her in a small pet carrier in the house. She's probably in shock right now. Give her some time to calm down, then you can gently look her over for injuries. Good luck, and I'm so sorry for your loss.

3. Grimy Girl

Grimy Girl New Egg

Mar 15, 2009
    I am so sorry to hear that.

I am not a vet but this is what i did:

- moved her to a dark quiet place in the garage
    - inspected her body to find injury
    -applied neosporin to her wounds. There are other posts with additional anti septic instructions.
    -make sure there is water and food around her.

I know what its like to feel terrified and helpless after a dog attack. I hope she is OK.

GG

4. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    Hey Godsgrl I love your signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a dancer and I am choreographing a dance to that song!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] more you beautiful you by john...

5. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    I hope your chicken is okay I hate losing chickens.... People need to keep their dogs on a leash

6. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I'm so sorry for your loss. For your surviving bird, I would put her somewhere warm, and dark. Perhaps house her in a small pet carrier in the house. She's probably in shock right now. Give her some time to calm down, then you can gently look her over for injuries. Good luck, and I'm so sorry for your loss.

Yup, and while she calms down you can get her some an electrolyte and vitamin powder at your local feed store. It is cheap, I think it was $2.14 for 3 packets. I had a hen that was roughed up by a puppy - long story that makes my blood boil to this day - and this helped her very much. I also gave her a bigger than usual helping of strawberry yogurt - her favorite treat.

So sorry for your loss, and good luck with your lady.​

7. yolkoroo

yolkoroo Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Thank you all. I put her in a pet carrier with some 50/50 mix of water and gatorade- I will get some electrolyte mix at the feed store when I go to town late. She has calmed down a great deal and is no longer panting with her mouth open as before (seems to be breathing normally). The dog dug under the burried chicken wire I had around their run...I am devastated.

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    You're doing good. Bless her heart, she is terrified.
    As soon as you can, try to find her a buddy so she isn't lonely. It will help her adapt.
    I'm so sorry you lost your flock to the dog of an irresponsible owner! [​IMG]

9. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:Thank you. It's More Beautiful You by Jonny Diaz. I love the message the song portrays, that we are all beautiful, inside and out. My dd dances as well, and has for several years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by