1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

IMMEDIATE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS NEEDED.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AxelFlynn08, Aug 3, 2014.

1. AxelFlynn08

AxelFlynn08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2014
    Ok, so, I left for two days to go to my fiance's mother's house. I fed and watered my birds and locked up the hen house since this area is big with predators.
    I just got home and went out to set my birds free and give them a treat. Well, I looked down and realized my little wyandotte hen sitting with her wings partially spread and thought maybe she had laid her first egg and was being protective or something. She was in her normal sleeping pit, right beside the nest so nothing seemed fishy. Anyway, down to the point.
    She wasn't sitting on an egg, she was balancing. She suddenly only has one leg. MY HEN LOST A LEG WHILE I WAS GONE.

There are no feathers in her pen, where by the way, she sleeps snuggled up to my twin production reds. The other two are fine. NO BLOOD. NO STRUGGLE FEATHERS. NO MESS. The wound, which has been carefully clipped of feathers and cleaned, has no torn edges. It even healed right nicely without any infection, leaking edges, or even tearing in any odd directions to show in what direction she was pulled in. It quite honestly looks like a really cruel freakin' joke and i'm soooo mad.

Anyway. I need an opinion on if this honestly does sound like a predatory attack, or not, and if she'll be ok. Will she eventually be able to get around again with practice? Or is she destined to be culled or just be my special little hen? What do I do?

2. MohicanHase

MohicanHase Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    wow! healed in 2 days? with no feathers around, it sounds like someone did that to her, but do you know anyone around you who would do that? like someone holding something against you? or unruly juveniles? I hope you get to the bottom of it!

3. MohicanHase

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    if you want to keep her alive, and if she does not seem to be in pain, you can make her a prosthetic leg so she can get around. But if she seems to be suffering I would euthanize.

4. AxelFlynn08

May 4, 2014
    Yeah, healed in two days. There's no swelling or puffy infection, it quite honestly looks like someone just casually snipped it off with scissors. She appears traumatized, seeing as she won't look at me. She actually...seems depressed. But then again, I wouldn't be happy if I suddenly lost a leg. Sadly, I wish I could point a finger, but I can't. I don't know anyone out here really since I'm not very social.

5. AxelFlynn08

May 4, 2014
    ...do you have any ideas on how to make a chicken leg?

6. MohicanHase

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    I would guess some teens did if for a cruel prank. [​IMG] don't know of any predators who could bite off so clean. its terrible what people will do nowadays (coming from a teen myself) I wish you the best of luck with her!

7. Spongegirl

Spongegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    middle earth
    how odd. when is the last time you looked at her legs for sure?

8. MohicanHase

Apr 27, 2014
    Ohio
    I don't, but I am shure someone else on here could help you with that. :)

9. AxelFlynn08

May 4, 2014
    Just two days ago when I locked up. She was running around with her hen sisters and eating mealworms from my hand.

10. AxelFlynn08

May 4, 2014
    I know, people are horrible these days, coming from someone who has had cruel jokes played on them all their life. I'm 21 and was bullied through school, so yes. I know how stupid most teens are these days. Thanks for your input ^^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by