Immediate help needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Abed, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Abed

Abed Hatching

Jun 18, 2019
    Hi there,

I am raising 4 cotornex quail for the first time,
    They are 3 weeks old, i raise them in rabbit hutch that never been used before, until night i had no problem, this morning one quail that is fully feathered appeared to be inactive, not eating or drinking, droopy eyes, not interested in anything, and having watery diarrhea, white in colour, i dont think she will survive if i dont interfere immediately, i will post a picture for her poop. Could it he enteritis? How i can treat, how i can make her eat or drink?
    Please help...

Attached Files:

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    @TwoCrows and @007Sean know about quail. I hope they'll be able to help,but it's pretty late at night.

007Sean and ChickNanny13 like this.
  3. Abed

Abed Hatching

Jun 18, 2019
    Thank you...i hope she survives until tomorrow:(

AmyJane725 likes this.
  4. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Most likely it is UE. Usually their droppings will be a yellowish color but I have seen it white too! Usually the droppings will have unusually large amounts of urates surrounded by a watery ring. Other indicators of the disease are as you have witnessed, 'hunched up' appearance, listless, head retracted into the breast, eyes closed.
    Tetracycline, Bacitracin, and Streptomycin is the best to use for UE, only problem they are by script from a vet.
    TSC has Duramycin, other feed stores should carry it as well. It can be add to their drinking water at a dosage of .02%/gallon. The water should be changed daily. You will need to treat the entire flock. You may have to treat multiple times or on a continuing basis.
    Without treatment, mortality is 100% in just a few days.

Ulcerative enteritis is contracted by ingesting the feces of infected birds that have the bacteria Clostridium colinum in their feces. Once infected and if the bird recovers, it will be a carrier for the rest of it's life.
    Usually, UE is seen in Bobwhites. Bobwhites are highly susceptible to UE but other quail can be infected.

The best why to prevent it is to have very clean sanitation procedures. Waterers and feeders cleaned often, and preventing over crowding.

I had an UE outbreak when I was commercially raising Bobwhites. It nearly wiped out my entire flock before I got a handle on it. I treated mine with Tetracycline from a vet, administered in their waterers. It was a very expensive and preventable disease.

Abed and sylviethecochin like this.
  5. Abed

Abed Hatching

Jun 18, 2019
    Thank you so much, the information you provided is very useful, the description of what you mentioned is exactly what i noticed...i have some access to tetracycline capsules 250mg, i emptied some of them in to the water, but the problem she doesn't eat or drink at all...i tried to give her some medicated water in a spoon, doubt she is going to survive..the other 3 quails appear to be ok so far, i hope they dont enquire this, i ll be so sad...anything else i can do to prevent the rest of getting this?

6. RollingE

RollingE In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2019
    Have you tried forcing drinking with a small syringe? With no needle obviously.

7. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    You need to treat the other quail as well, they won't show signs of infection until too late.
    Keep their waterer and feed clean, free of droppings. Change the bedding often, if applicable, if raising on the ground be sure to not overcrowd.

Eggcessive likes this.
  8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Coccidiosis can be an underlying factor in enteritis. Corid or amprollium is a treatment for that. You may be able to get a fecal test for coccidiosis to rule that out. I have no experience with quail, just with chickens, but all poultry can suffer from these.

9. Abed

Abed Hatching

Jun 18, 2019
    I lost her this morning...the rest doing ok...am adding the Antibiotic to water...they seem to be quit though. They produce semi-solid to watery green droppings...hopefully they dont get the same thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: