Immediate help Please! Friends babies are sick and dying!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Parkers*momma, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Parkers*momma

Parkers*momma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2010
    Continental Ohio
    My girlfriend just called to say she is having a problem with her chicks. Here's the info:

1) What type of bird , age and weight. First it was her two silver Pheonix (who passed wednesday) now her bantam polish. 4-5 weeks old

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Wobbley legs and occassional falling over, gapping while stretching neck outward, feathering ruffled, hunched up in a corner, wing position fine, clear eyes and nostrils, breathing thru nostrils not the beak, regular breathing...not shallow, deep or rapid), others died within 24-48 hours from first symptom

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? This set about 3 hours

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Chickstarter/grower medicated with amprolium to prevent coccidiosis with some treats-no bread. They were eatting just fine until onset of illness-still pecking at food and water-crops are empty though

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. really watery but light tan in color

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? nothing yet...no clue what it is

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?preferrably home

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. N/A

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use. In her house in a dog kennel with pine shavings-minor free ranging for an hour in baby pen during the day in the shade

NOTE: she bought them from a large breeder who is NPIP. Both sets were in the same stall in the barn and she has had them for three weeks now. He said they were vaccinated.

Any ideas or what she has and how to treat it?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    If it were me, I would call the breeder for help.

3. Parkers*momma

Parkers*momma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2010
    Continental Ohio
    Quote:She tried to contact him this morning and no answer. She'll continue to try to reach him. In the mean time, is there any suggestions on what to do or ideas of what she is dealing with?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by