Immediate help please!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hd_darcy, May 8, 2011.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    To make a long story short I hatched an egg today after it had pipped yesterday. It is completely out and laying on it's side very worn out. My question is that there is some yellow on it. Do I have to worry about washing that off now, or can I just leave the poor little bugger me?! He's completely out, and just very very tired. I'll see if I can post pics in a bit. I put him back in the incubator and hope he'll liven up after he rests? I ended up exposing the whole membrane and wasn't sure what to do after that. Miraculously at the bottom it had tore a bit, and I was able to slide it over his head.... UGH.. so exciting, i hope he makes it!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I think it is the yolk. Leave it would be my guess. It should absorb it. Hopefully someone with more experience will get on and help more. [​IMG]

3. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I brought the whole incubator upstairs and put it in the bathroom. I have him in there. I opened it up again after I got the room nice and steamy and pealed it away, it does look like it might be the yolk still attached a bit? Not positive though. He's resting, but if I touch him he isn't pleased and chirps like crazy. He's fighting (actually, it's going to be a "she") LOL!

4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Your baby will be fine. The yolk sac is sometimes drug along behind them. The umbilicle will dry up & fall off in a couple hours.

Newborn chicks are very sleepy and very unstable. It takes them several hours to become stable on thier feet. Just let her rest in a warm spot until she fuzzes out.

If there is still membrane on her tomorrow and her feathers are stuck to her body - and she isn't fluffy - giver her a good bath in warm water under a faucet.

If you have to do this - dont get water in her nose.

At this age they don't like being picked up. - Pick her up anyway - this will cause them to imprint on you & see you as momma. They will love you forever after that. Even when 3 years old.

5. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I am so excited! He looks pretty strong, trying to stand up here and there. I still have her sitting on a washcloth in the incubator. I should remove the washcloth quickly, I'm guessing?

I can heat up the bathroom to do so- thanks!

6. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    as long as she is in the incubator and you don't have other eggs in there pipped - you dont need the wash cloth.

As soon as her feathers dry you should have her in a brooder. No need to heat the room up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by