immobile hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jesskoot, Jun 10, 2010.

1. jesskoot

jesskoot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    Central VA
    My Barred Rock has been sitting in the nest at least since 11:00 am - it is now 6:00 pm. There are two eggs from other hens under her. She is being very quiet and still; when I touch her back she puffs up her feathers and once stood about half-way then sat back down. She is 10 months old, healthy, has been laying consistently and is a happy, docile hen. What's going on here? I only have a totla of 4 and they all get along well. HELP please form all you experts! I am worried about her w/out monitoring over night. It has been over 90 degrees here today and she has had no water or food.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  2. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    Sounds to me like she has gone broody & is wanting to hatch some eggs! Karen

3. jesskoot

Jul 22, 2009
    Central VA
    Thanks for responding so quickly - I'm getting in a panic. Should I just move her out of the nest?

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Give her a good going over to make sure she's broody and not hurt/sick ( I think she's probably broody though) and then read this thread on breaking a broody. You can also give her some fertile eggs to hatch or (my favorite) let her sit on fake eggs for another week or two and then slip some day old chicks under her.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=181289

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I don't think she's sick, I think she's "broody." If you want to let her hatch eggs, be sure to move food and water close to her while you decide if you want to let her hatch her own, or hatch other eggs.

Other BYC members will have much more pertinent information for you. But I bet she acts somewhat like my newly-broody BO:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  6. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

If you pick her up, and put her on the cold ground, does she go right back to the nest and puff up into a velociraptor in a stack of overcoats? If so, it's broody.

7. jesskoot

Jul 22, 2009
    Central VA
    Everyone's advice is great and I thank you, but I don't have any fertile eggs or chicks, and don't plan to...can non-mama hens still go broody? We do have neighbors w/roosters - are they sending a signal? I know I sound clueless, because I am. We were coasting along so well........

8. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    get a dozen fertile eggs from your neighbor-happy hatching!

9. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Hens go broody whether there's a rooster around or not. There are postings here about breaking a broody, or you can find some fertile eggs and let her hatch some. Depends on whether or not you want some chicks.

10. jesskoot

Jul 22, 2009
    Central VA
    Great answers, and getting fertile eggs around here is no problem....but won't the other hens beat the chickes up when they hatch? Would I be moving into a whole other level of backyard chickens?
    I love my girls, but production wasn't in my plan....and although i could totally enjoy the process, I'll check the advise of others regarding breaking a broody....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by