immunization? advice needed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jacob Duckman, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Jacob Duckman

Jacob Duckman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2016
    Lehigh Valley
    An article came out today about the discovery of bird flu in ducks in france. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-birdflu-france-idUSKBN13N17J

I have young ducklings and I am short on resources. Can anyone recommend the easiest/most affordable way to immunize ducks? I believe it is administered by spray? Is that available online or from a vet? Or do you have to actually bring your flock in to get immunized?

any advice would be appreciated.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Not sure why your concerned? Are you located in France?????

Cheers!

3. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Ducklings do not get vaccinated like chicks do because they are built differently. They cant handle some of the stuff that's in the vaccines( which is why you don't feed ducklings medicated starter).
    I've never heard of someone immunizing their ducks, I think that if you keep the pen clean, don't let other people who have fowl near the ducks, change after going to a fair, in short, not exposing the birds to anything potentially germ-y, you will be fine. Ducks are very hardy.
    And I wouldn't worry to much about the flu, I think you are in PA? Let me just quote some thing

"A first case of highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N8 was confirmed on Nov. 26 in the commune of Marck (Pas-de-Calais), on 20 wild ducks used as callers for waterfowl hunting," Emphasis mine. You have much more control over what your ducks are exposed to than what wild duck are exposed to

And one more thing: Do you know what would happen if you immunized for influenza? Same thing we humans have to put up with "Get flu shots here! Dont get sick this winter!" Blah blah. And then what happens? Half the time, you get sick.[​IMG] So don't go to the ducks if you're sick, and I think all will be good[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Kroelies

Kroelies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    Netherlands
    There is bird flu here in Holland too, dead ducks were even found on the beach in my town. But I haven't heard about mallards dying so I think my ducks will be okay? Sadly thousends and thousends of ducks got killed on duck farms this week after bird flu was discovered or merely as a precaution :hit :mad: :mad:

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Okay.........Hmmmm......You really can not help them...I am sure yours will be okay as long as they do not mingle with other birds.....Keep them in the pen till more info comes your way....

Best of Luck.....

Cheers!

6. Jacob Duckman

Jacob Duckman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2016
    Lehigh Valley
    thanks for clarifying.... darn duck hunters

7. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    T
    Thats why I don't like mass farming, mass anything really( I hate crowds...I'm not antisocial though[​IMG])
    Whenever theres a recall, or whatever, and all heck breaks lose

Sure, remember: an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure(someone smarter than me said that [​IMG])
    good luck

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by