IMO the best tool ever.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tala, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I have a small LED flashlight that was sold with red and blue lense covers for hunters. The covers just popped on. The red light was the BEST thing ever for checking on the birds without waking them up or messing up my own night vision.
    Unfortunately last week the lense cover popped off somewhere between the coop and the house....
    It truely is a great, very bright flashlight that I like to use, so it's not a total loss but I did miss my night vision.

Tonight I replaced it with a different brand, but similar flashlight - that has screw on lense covers!!! WOOT! I was seriously considering super-gluing the cover on this time (because you couldn't tell that they screwed on until after I got it out of the package). The new one is Coleman brand and I got it from the sporting goods area of Wal-Mart for $20.

I see online that they also make one that is even more foolproof , but they didn't have it at WM.

I use this thing almost every night, so I think it's probably the most useful "chicken related" tool that I have.

2. Mad Tapper

Mad Tapper Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2008
    Central Wisconsin
    I agree. I have and use a similar gadget all the time. Mine has red/white lights but mounts on head with a headband, which means two free hands. Works great for late chicken chores or anything after sundown.

3. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    You should be able to get tail-light tape in the auto parts section for a couple bucks. It's red, translucent tape. Take out the clear lens, stick it to the tape, cut it out, and put it back into the flashlight. You can add several layers if you want it darker, but start with one.

That's an old astronomy tip.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  4. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Army surplus flashlights normally come with red, blue and white filters and they are water proof.... I LOVE mine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by