IMO the giant eggs of the sex-links are NOT 'normal' size chx eggs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jmc, Oct 1, 2011.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    I realize that a chicken's eggs may get larger as a bird gets older...................

But when I look at the monstrosities some of the red and black sexlinks (and BROWN???) lay.............

You see a dozen extra large eggs and man they are huge!!!

Sex links--however cute, etc. they may be--seem to be freaks of nature in this regard, as are their eggs.

True it is nice to get such a huge egg from a pullet.

But I wonder if a smaller egg is not more 'normal'. I have seen some hatchery RIR eggs that are high end of medium, and they seem 'normal'.

Again I am NOT trying to insult sex link lovers, that is NOT the point here.

I am just wondering if that huge egg size of theirs isn't more in the realm of Frankenchicken than a more modest size--perhaps heritage chicken--might lay.

The sexlink eggs just seem abnormal in their size.....................even if they have been bred and PATENTED that way.............

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well, you gotta consider, that's what they were bred for. . . The most production in a short time of the biggest eggs.

I know other breeds with enormous eggs too, but at least those breeds actually have the body and substance to be able to handle spitting out such an egg.

3. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:

4. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    I have two red star pullets that by far lay the largest eggs... and one of which is my smallest sized hen. I have read about how hatcheries are developing their own secret crosses to get these sex links. I bought all of my chicks from a local feed store that got them from a local hatchery. I have a Rhode Island Red cockerel, and next year I would like to attempt reproducing these hens by crossing him with my Silver Laced Wyandotte. Not just because my red sex links are the most reliable egg layers, but they are the tamest and friendliest out of all the hens we have. Does this mean I have little chance of getting the results I hope for??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by