Impacted crop ——-> Sour crop

Nicole2845

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2021
Our sweet Eliza had an impacted crop this week, so we took her to the vet. They flushed her crop and it immediately broke up. We have kept her isolated in the house with lots of water with ACV, regular massages, and a special pancake consistency food they provided us to give her for a couple of days. Later yesterday she started feeling a little squishy, so I started her in some yeast infection suppositories. She ate the small junks right up. This morning her impaction is still gone 🙌, but she still has some squish, so I am assuming she has gone a bit sour. I offered her a little plain Greek yogurt instead of the food the vet sent with us and 1/4” of the suppository. Her poops are still normal and she is acting quite fine. We had a favorite girl pass last year of sour crop that was too far gone when we returned from vacation, so we are hypersensitive this time. Am I on the right track?

Here's all the info on crop disorders in a short article. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Flushing the crop at the vet's was a good thing, but it wouldn't have removed all the yeast spores. You were wise to begin the miconazole treatment. It must be about half an inch of material, either suppository or cream and given twice a day for a full seven days to completely rid the crop of yeast.

You're on top of this. She's in good hands and will be fine.

Thank you for your reply @azygous!! We still have her isolated in a crate in the house with water with ACV. How long would you advise we keep her isolated? It’s the only real way to monitor her eating and poop. They do not have access to food/water at night while sleeping at this time. Should I go ahead and coop her with the other 5 girls at night? Also, what about food intake? I’m still giving the vet prescribed runny pancake food. She will have it finished today. I did offer her a bit of plain Greek yogurt and a few bites of scrambled egg for breakfast. How would you progress her eating?

Thank you!! I really appreciate your advice!!

On another note: our 18 mo old Barred Rock was our super layer, every single day. At the end of her laying season before winter, she laid a couple of soft shelled eggs. My daughter pull a couple out of her vent that were dangling. She has not yet started laying this spring and what she does lay is soft shells and yesterday she stood by me and laid nothing but double yolks. My daughter went to check her vent for the shell, didn’t see anything but did see her lay some egg white. She gets layer feed with supplemental calcium powder, crushed eggs shells or oyster shells about once a week. What could be the problem??

Poor calcium absorption or perhaps a reproductive cancer. I recommend calcium citrate tablets, one per day, until she's laying normally. The calcium you're giving her is probably calcium carbonate, very difficult for some hen to digest and absorb.

Here's my tutorial on the three different forms of calcium and how they differ.

There are three different sources of calcium, all different, all digested and absorbed at varying rates of effectiveness. The most common source is calcium carbonate. This is what egg shells, oyster shell, and calcite derived calcium supplements are. It's the highest in calcium, but it's the most difficult to digest and absorb. Some hens absorb it so slowly and inefficiently that it's not able to adequately supply their shell gland. So, they often produce shell-less eggs or very thin shell eggs.

The second kind of calcium is calcium gluconate. It comes from fruits and vegetables. It's not very high in calcium and still hard to digest and absorb.

The third kind of calcium is calcium citrate. It's the by-product of the manufacturing process of making citric acid. This form of calcium is very easy to digest and absorb. For this reason, it works much, much faster than the other two types of calcium. This is the form of calcium that's best to use when a hen is having reproductive issues from the relatively minor one of shell quality to the most serious and life threatening one of egg binding.

One calcium citrate tablet with vitamin D given right into the beak once a day until the issue is resolved is what I strongly recommend. Here's what to buy.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

Poor calcium absorption or perhaps a reproductive cancer. I recommend calcium citrate tablets, one per day, until she's laying normally. The calcium you're giving her is probably calcium carbonate, very difficult for some hen to digest and absorb.

Here's my tutorial on the three different forms of calcium and how they differ.

There are three different sources of calcium, all different, all digested and absorbed at varying rates of effectiveness. The most common source is calcium carbonate. This is what egg shells, oyster shell, and calcite derived calcium supplements are. It's the highest in calcium, but it's the most difficult to digest and absorb. Some hens absorb it so slowly and inefficiently that it's not able to adequately supply their shell gland. So, they often produce shell-less eggs or very thin shell eggs.

The second kind of calcium is calcium gluconate. It comes from fruits and vegetables. It's not very high in calcium and still hard to digest and absorb.

The third kind of calcium is calcium citrate. It's the by-product of the manufacturing process of making citric acid. This form of calcium is very easy to digest and absorb. For this reason, it works much, much faster than the other two types of calcium. This is the form of calcium that's best to use when a hen is having reproductive issues from the relatively minor one of shell quality to the most serious and life threatening one of egg binding.

One calcium citrate tablet with vitamin D given right into the beak once a day until the issue is resolved is what I strongly recommend. Here's what to buy. View attachment 2603829
I will give this a try! We’ll have to do it when she coops up for the night because she is uncatchable!! 😂

@azygous Sorry to bother you again. So yesterday Eliza ate some scrambled eggs throughout the day with some Greek yogurt. She was an enthusiastic eater, drank good. She even ate the micozinole right out of my hand. And she was bossy all day in her crate. This morning, she seems worse. She didn’t poop in the night, but did lay a soft shelled egg (she hasn’t been laying this spring yet with the exception of one egg). She is not interested in eating and I had to force down the micozinole. Her crop is larger, still squishy. I felt around and didn’t notice any hard substances. She just seems worse. I’ve had a yeast infection before and know how awful you can feel. Advice for the day? Do you massage sour crop or let it be? Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom